Greeting ARLIS/NA Community,

I’d like to thank and congratulate the ad hoc Strategic Planning Committee
on their hard and persistent work over the last two years. The ARLIS/NA
Executive Board approved the new Mission, Vision, and Values
<https://www.arlisna.org/mission> statements put forward by the committee
at our April meeting. This fall the committee submitted their final report
to the board and I’m very pleased to announce that we approved their five
carefully crafted goals, which will put our values into action.

Strategic Planning Committee co-chairs, Amy Trendler and Suzanne Rackover,
have beautifully documented the committee’s process. "The Strategic
Planning Committee was guided by a commitment to have a plan that was by
and for the membership, to achieve this we sought feedback in many modes
and venues throughout the process. Each of the five goals builds upon and
extends activity already underway within ARLIS/NA while also challenging us
to be ambitious. With a clearly defined mission, vision, values, and goals,
the plan should energize the ARLIS/NA community and its membership,
focusing on meaningful work that is both constructive and helpful."

The five goals are:

*Mobilizing Membership*

Increase membership by 20% and double the representation of BI+POC
identifying members.

*Igniting Infrastructure*

Align infrastructure with mission, vision, and values; increase operating
margin to 10%.

*Creating Community*

Foster community such that at least 80% of students, new professionals, and
self-identified BI+POC members agree or strongly agree with the statement
that ARLIS/NA creates a community that centers accessibility, diversity,
equity,

inclusion, and social justice.

*Amplifying Advocacy*

Conduct advocacy efforts that generate at least one major media mention
(with an estimated viewership/readership of 1 million+) and at least five
minor media mentions.

*Propelling Partnerships*

Establish at least five new partnerships or collaborations, grounded in an
intentional equity mindset, to enhance the reach and impact of arts
information services and resources in underserved communities.

Additionally, the board will begin implementing the committee’s
recommendations, starting with the appointment of two Strategic Plan
Implementation Coordinators. These intrepid souls will help track our
progress and guide us in achieving the goals set out in our strategic plan.
Be on the lookout for a call for volunteers to fulfill these important
positions.

Eleven of our ARLIS/NA constituent groups have already contributed 18
strategies to address the goals. The work of our members, their commitment
and their vision continually astound me. One of the tasks for the Strategic
Plan Coordinators will be to develop a dashboard where we can all see the
progress of the great work that is being done.

A big thank you to the committee (members listed below), for your excellent
work!

Amy Trendler
Suzanne Rackover
Sarah Carter
Freyja Catton
Jessica Craig
Rebecca Friedman
Patricia Gimenez
Karyn Hinkle
Mark Pompelia
Rebecca Price
Heather Slania
John Taormina

Rachel Resnik
Art Libraries Society of North America President
Massachusetts College of Art and Design
621 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115