Hi Lee,

The best understanding I have of how to find Black art historians would be to do a Wikidata query which uses linked data (much culled from Wikipedia but also other sources) so you can formulate complex queries like "people who were of a certain ethnicity with a certain profession". This is my query for Black historians which yields 76 results: https://w.wiki/8J5C

There are many caveats to this approach; Black people are definitely underrepresented in the data source, ethnicity data is notoriously tricky especially for non-living persons, "art historian" isn't a specific occupation so I included "historian and all its subclasses". I am also very amateur at constructing these types of linked data queries, but here are a few names that look promising:

Shirley Woodson
Kellie Jones
Freida High Wasikhongo Tesfagiorgis

W.E.B. Du Bois is included in the results, which seems like a good proof that it's working. Some folks will likely not be art-related or not quite historians per se. There are several names without Wikipedia articles that would require further research.

Let me know if you have ideas on how to improve the query or questions about it, I will try my best to help.

Best,

ERIC PHETTEPLACE Systems Librarian, Libraries (he/him)

CCA is situated on the traditional unceded lands of the Chochenyo and Ramaytush Ohlone peoples.

Black-owned bookstores in Oakland: Ashay by the Bay, Marcus Books