The Dictionary of Art Historians, arthistorians.info, is working to identify people of color who were art historians of black American art, working before 1980.  We would be grateful to the ARLIS membership to help identify these historic teachers or the places where such documentation could be found.

We are defining black art historians for this purpose as:

  1. Anyone of color with a professorial appointment teaching art history (or US black art history)

  2. Anyone of color consistently documenting black American art or artists either as a writer or in a museum or in a secondary educational setting

  3. Any person of color who inspired subsequent black art historians during the period 1900-1979.

We have identified the following art writers/teachers:

Archer-Straw, Petrine

Driskell, David C.

Du Bois, W. E. B.

Lewis, Samella