Call for Reviewers for Library Exhibitions Review 2024 due by December 1, 2023

Library Exhibitions Review is published annually by the ARLIS/NA Exhibitions Special Interest Group. Our inaugural issue was published in Spring 2023. We are in the process of putting together our second issue!

Recognizing that exhibitions and displays are integral to library services, and building on the publication of its ARLIS/NA Best Practices for Library Exhibitions in 2021, ARLIS/NA launched the Library Exhibitions Review (LER) to promote these best practices and enhance the visibility of library exhibitions.

We have collected a list of exhibitions available for review! Please express your interest in reviewing an exhibition for us by filling out our form or by contacting us at [log in to unmask] by December 1, 2023. You do not need to be a member of ARLIS to contribute!

Please encourage people to visit physical exhibitions or people who already visited the physical exhibition to write a review.

Timeline

Available exhibitions are listed below.

Online Exhibitions

Teaching with Art: The History of the Visual Resources Collection at Yale. Online exhibition in link, physical exhibition at Robert B. Haas Family Arts Library, Yale University, 180 York Street New Haven, CT 06511

The Undead Archive: 100 Years of Photographing Ghosts. Online exhibition in link, co-presented by The University of Winnipeg’s Gallery 1C03, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections, and the School of Art Gallery, University of Manitoba.

Let None Be Excluded: The Origins of Equal School Rights in Salem. Online exhibition in title link, physical exhibition at The Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum 306 Newburyport Turnpike, Rowley, MA 01969

Reverberating Feminisms: Chronologies of Feminist Art Movements at CalArts. Online exhibition in link, physical exhibition at California Institute of the Arts, CalArts Library, 24700 McBean Pkwy, Valencia, CA

Physical Exhibitions

Unseen Labor: Social Justice in Cataloging. Exhibition catalog in link. Traveling exhibition hosted at The Special Collections Research Center, Fresno State University, from August 28, 2023 to May 17, 2024. Fresno State Library 5200 N. Barton Ave., M/S UL34 Fresno, CA 93740

Words Matter! The Inclusive Cataloging Movement Takes Flight. Description in link. Physical exhibition at The Special Collections Research Center, Fresno State University, Fresno State Library 5200 N. Barton Ave., M/S UL34 Fresno, CA 93740

Abject Object: Feminism, Art & The Academy. Description in link. Physical exhibition at The Ohio State University, Thompson Library Gallery, Columbus, OH

On Various Subjects: 250 Years of Phillis Wheatley. Description in link. Physical exhibition at Special Collections Library, Memorial Library, University of Wisconsin-Madison. Madison, WI

Domesticated Pulp: Archie Publications and the Comics Code. Description in link. Olin Library, Washington University in St. Louis., MO

Responding to Climate Change Through Art and Design. Exhibition catalog in link. Physical exhibition at Emily Carr University of Art and Design Library, Vancouver BC. Please note this exhibition has already closed.

Exhibition Suggestions

We are looking for more recommendations of library or archive exhibitions! Exhibitions can be physical or virtual format, but must be open to the public. If the exhibition is a physical one, we may ask for additional documentation (photographs, drawings, etc.) to increase our reviewers' access to the exhibition.

Suggestions can be sent to us at [log in to unmask] for consideration in the 2025 issue of Library Exhibitions Review.

Co-Editors:

Freyja Catton, Wordeater Consulting
Emily Eckstrand, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Ashley Huot, University of Manitoba

Alex Regan, University of California Santa Barbara

Meg Wang, Mississippi State University