Hi Lee,

The best understanding I have of how to find Black art historians would be
to do a Wikidata query <https://query.wikidata.org/> which uses linked data
(much culled from Wikipedia but also other sources) so you can formulate
complex queries like "people who were of a certain ethnicity with a certain
profession". This is my query for Black historians which yields 76 results:
https://w.wiki/8J5C

There are many caveats to this approach; Black people are definitely
underrepresented in the data source, ethnicity data is notoriously tricky
especially for non-living persons, "art historian" isn't a specific
occupation so I included "historian and all its subclasses". I am also
very amateur at constructing these types of linked data queries, but here
are a few names that look promising:

Shirley Woodson <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Woodson>
Kellie Jones <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellie_Jones>
Freida High Wasikhongo Tesfagiorgis
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freida_High_Wasikhongo_Tesfagiorgis>

W.E.B. Du Bois is included in the results, which seems like a good proof
that it's working. Some folks will likely not be art-related or not quite
historians *per se*. There are several names without Wikipedia articles
that would require further research.

Let me know if you have ideas on how to improve the query or questions
about it, I will try my best to help.

Best,

ERIC PHETTEPLACE Systems Librarian, Libraries (he/him)

*CCA is situated on the traditional unceded lands of the **Chochenyo and
Ramaytush Ohlone** peoples.*

Black-owned bookstores in Oakland: Ashay by the Bay
<https://ashaybythebay.com/>, Marcus Books
<https://www.facebook.com/marcus.books/>