image.png

Greeting ARLIS/NA Community,

As we transition from summer to fall, I want to take a moment to share with you a few ARLIS/NA activity and initiative highlights. This is just a brief overview to touch on some of the great work being done by our colleagues across the society.

For more communications, I encourage all ARLIS/NA members who have not yet joined the ARLIS/NA Commons to take a few moments to do so now. You can register here. Once you’re in the Commons, join the groups you are most interested in to stay up to date on the discussions happening in our divisions, sections, special interest groups, and chapters.

 52nd Annual Conference in Pittsburgh

At the beginning of the week I joined the conference co-chairs and planners in Pittsburgh for our conference site visit meeting. We did an immersive tour of the Omni William Penn facilities, which are stunning. Our tours of local museums and cultural institutions have given us a clear picture of where our tours and parties will be held and I can guarantee conference-goers are in for a treat. Conference proposals are rolling in as I write this and if the chatter on the listserv and in ARLIS/NA Commons is any indication, the program is going to be fascinating. We’ve started building out the conference website and we will be adding information throughout the fall.

Strategic Planning Committee

Under the direction of the Strategic Planning Committee the society adopted a new mission, vision, and values in April. It beautifully captures the spirit of ARLIS/NA and serves as an excellent foundation for the plan that is in the process of being drafted. This summer the committee invited constituent leaders from across the organization to contribute strategies to build out the strategic plan. I’m looking forward to seeing the results of this collaborative work.

Code of Conduct Task Force

Over the summer the Executive Board appointed a crackerjack task force to move along the development of a new code of conduct. We will have a more comprehensive and thoughtful code of conduct by winter, which will cover both online and in-person interactions.

Sofia Leung Talk

I hope everyone will mark their calendars for a virtual talk by acclaimed social justice promoter, Sofia Leung. She has done numerous keynotes and presentations on critical race theory, white supremacy and their connection to libraries. Organized and present by the Diversity and Inclusion Committee, this talk will be Wednesday, October 4, 2-3 p.m. ET. Be on the lookout for forthcoming registration instructions from the Diversity and Inclusion Committee.

IRC Study Tour to Florence

Also in October is the International Relations Committee’s study tour to Florence. The swoon-inducing itinerary is still under development, but looks like it will include visits to the Uffizi Library, the Alinari Archives, and an optional day trip to visit Medici villas. This tour developed in collaboration with the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz is now full, but stay tuned for developing information about the future tours to Japan and Chile.

I hope you all had a restful and rejuvenating summer and wish you well as you gear up for the fast pace of fall. For me it’s too soon for pumpkin spice lattes, but I do love the fall season for ARLIS/NA, as it is the time our chapter get-togethers provide a lovely opportunity for connection, camaraderie, and the rich exchange of ideas.

Warmly,

Rachel

Rachel Resnik
ARLIS/NA President