Greetings from the Rare Book School at the University of Virginia!

We are pleased to announce that applications are now open for Rare Book
School’s fall 2023 online courses! Click on the course titles below to view
detailed descriptions and faculty biographies, along with the schedule,
format, location, and fee for each offering.

Introduction to Bibliographical Research Methods for the Hand-Press Period
<https://rarebookschool.org/courses/general/g15v/>Taught by Sarah Werner
<https://rarebookschool.org/faculty/general/sarah-werner/> (22 hours)
21 September through 16 November (7:00–9:00 p.m. ET on Tuesdays & 7:00–8:00
p.m. ET on Thursdays)

This course takes as its starting point the premise that bibliographical
research methods are broadly useful for studying any texts of the Western
hand-press period. We will consider how the material aspects of printed
texts help us ask questions about the circumstances of their creation,
their potential uses and meanings, and their passage through time to us
today. The course will be organized around specific materialities—including
paper, ink, type, format, and bindings—in order to learn skills to identify
key characteristics as well as situations in which such knowledge is
useful. Because this is an online course, we will also pay special
attention to digital facsimiles and other digital tools that can help us
explore (or sometimes hinder our study of) bibliographical features.

From Poggio to Mabillon: The Study of Latin Manuscripts in the First Age of
Print
<https://rarebookschool.org/courses/manuscripts/m65v/>Taught by Anthony
Grafton <https://rarebookschool.org/faculty/manuscripts/anthony-grafton/>
(6 hours)
26 September, 28 September, 3 October & 5 October (7:00–8:30 p.m. ET on
Tuesdays & Thursdays)

This course will examine the study of Latin manuscripts from early Italian
humanism to the creation of Latin paleography by Jean Mabillon. Nineteenth-
and twentieth-century philologists have often claimed that early scholars
could only generalize about the manuscripts they used, since they did not
know the history of scripts and had no secure basis for describing or
dating them. Jean Mabillon, whose De re diplomatica of 1681 put Latin
manuscript studies on a new foundation, has often been portrayed as a
heroic innovator who owed few debts to his predecessors. From World War II
onwards, however, students of humanism in Italy and elsewhere have
cultivated every corner of this vast field. Landmark books—especially
Silvia Rizzo’s Il lessico filologico degli umanisti (1973)—and brilliant
monographs and articles have filled in and nuanced our understanding of the
ways in which fifteenth- and sixteenth-century scholars worked with
manuscripts. We will retrace the history of manuscript studies in four
steps, each based on a series of case studies.

Building a BookLab
<https://rarebookschool.org/courses/library/l140v/>Taught by Kari Kraus
<https://rarebookschool.org/faculty/library/kari-kraus/> & Matthew G.
Kirschenbaum
<https://rarebookschool.org/faculty/library/matthew-kirschenbaum/> (6 hours)
16 October, 23 October & 30 October (7:00–9:00 p.m. ET on Mondays)

This short course will explore practical approaches and strategies for
building a student-centered book arts makerspace—a “booklab”—with an
emphasis on those institutions with modest and even scant resources. It
will be based upon the instructors’ success in jointly conceiving,
developing, and directing BookLab at the University of Maryland since 2018.
We will explore start-up considerations, such as physical space and budget,
as well as essential purchasing. We will cover a range of tabletop
letterpress options in some detail, and also discuss how to source type and
other printing necessities. The audience for the course is those persons
either thinking about developing such a space at their own institution, or
who are currently running one seeking insight into what others are doing.
While the focus will be on college and university settings, the course will
also be appropriate for those working at the K-12 level or in
community-based public arts.

For the best chance of being admitted, please submit your application(s) by
Monday, 28 August 2023. Applications received after that date will be
reviewed on a rolling basis until all available seats have been filled, but
many of the classes will fill in the first round of admissions decisions.

Applications will be accepted through the myRBS system
<https://rarebookschool.force.com/>; instructions for using the site can be
found on the landing page once you’ve created an account. For information
about the application process, visit
rarebookschool.org/admissions-awards/application/. If you have any
questions, please contact [log in to unmask]

We hope to see you in a Rare Book School online course this fall!

With kindest regards,

The RBS Programs team