Eleanor and I are saddened to share the news that after several years
battling metastatic lung cancer, Murtha Baca passed away in her home in Los
Angeles on Saturday, August 12, 2023.

Murtha insisted that there be no service in her memory. Nevertheless, it is
no surprise that the Getty Alumni Facebook page is filled with tributes to
her.  She was a giant in the VRA and library communities and a mentor to
many young colleagues.  She was a powerhouse for expanding the Getty
Vocabularies now under the leadership of Patricia Harpring and for
publishing major books and guides on standards for cataloging cultural
objects.

Murtha began at the Getty full-time, around 1987 when she was hired by
Eleanor Fink to help establish the Getty Vocabulary Program.  She held a
PhD in Art History and Italian language and literature from the University
of California, Los Angeles.

Rest in Peace.  You will remain in our memories as a dear friend and mentor.

Eleanor E. Fink & Christine L. Sundt