Do you identify as neurodivergent and work in libraries? Autism spokesperson Temple Grandin recommends jobs in art, design, and libraries for people on the spectrum. Why is this? What are our strengths and unique skill sets? While librarianship can be a welcoming industry for the neurodiverse, it can also exclude and even harm us. Would you like to share your experience with our neurotypical colleagues?

This is an open call for contributing to an ARLIS/NA 2024 conference pre-coordinated panel (up to 4 presenters with a moderator). If interested, please reach out to me with your ideas for participation at [log in to unmask]. We will develop a proposal together.

Working Title

Please Don’t Pop! Near Me: Neurodiversity and Library Work

Panel

Panelists with conditions including anxiety disorder, autism spectrum disorder, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, dyspraxia, Down syndrome, learning difficulties like dyslexia, mental health conditions like bipolar disorder or obsessive-compulsive disorder, and Tourette Syndrome.

Panelists will either participate in a discussion led by a moderator or individually present on a topic of their choice. Perhaps, in following with the conference's inspiration, consider how neurodivergents may "stretch the bounds of traditional conference scholarship in terms of format and delivery."

Possible topics include the hiring and interview process, workplace accommodations and challenges, or personal issues regarding tasks and communication, sensory problems and the work environment, and socialization with colleagues.

​Shannon Marie Robinson she | her
Head | Architecture + Fine Arts Library
​USC Libraries | University of Southern California
Linktree | Schedule an Appointment