From: Elligott, Michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, Jul 14, 2023, 10:48 AM
Subject: [ARLIS-L] MoMA mourns the passing of Danny Fermon
To: <[log in to unmask]>

The Museum of Modern Art Archives, Library, and Research Collections mourns the passing of Danny Fermon.

It is with deep sadness that we share the passing of Danny Fermon, who joined MoMA in 1971 as a Page in the Library. Encouraged by Library director Clive Phillpot, Danny earned an MLS in 1991 and rose through the library ranks, eventually being promoted to Associate Librarian, Cataloging in 2003. He was active in the Museum’s homegrown union, PASTA (Professional and Administrative Staff) MoMA, and later with Local 2110, notably as Shop Steward. Danny was one of the Museum’s longest serving employees, and in fact was with MoMA for more than half of its ninety-three year existence. Danny took his roles as Associate Librarian and Shop Steward seriously, and he was always quick to greet colleagues with a warm smile and a laugh. And his skills as a cataloger were legendary. His passing was sudden, and Danny is survived by his siblings: Charles Fermon and Priscilla Fermon.

For those of you in the New York City area, services for Danny Fermon will be held on Sunday, July 16th at 10:00 am at Riverside Memorial Chapel, 180 W. 76th St. A Rabbi will lead the services.

--

Michelle Elligott

Chief of Archives, Library, and Research Collections

The Museum of Modern Art

11 West 53 Street

New York, NY 10019

T (212) 708 9436