Before babies learn spoken language, they learn to play. Adults, desperate to connect with the pre-verbal humans in their lives, engage with babies using primal sounds, funny noises, silly gestures, and games like “peek-a-boo.” This emphasis on learning and communicating through play continues throughout childhood. Unfortunately, somewhere along the journey to adulthood, the fun stops. As we get older, we are expected to “take life seriously” and the everyday play of our early years is often seen as frivolous. Although play in libraries and adulthood is sometimes seen as nonsense or unserious, it is important to recognize that play is not meant to replace any ideas or services. In truth, play is about bettering an organization, idea, or oneself. Play is contagious and a medium that exercises creativity and problem-solving skills which are also skills needed when searching for or generating scholarly research.

Have interest in being part of a panel session (up to 4 speakers) for the ARLIS/NA Pittsburgh conference on the topic of “play” please contact me, Megan Lotts, no later than Wednesday, August 16 by 5pm EST at [log in to unmask].

Many thanks and I hope everyone is having a great summer!

Best,

MCL

Megan Lotts, MFA, M.L.I.S. (my pronouns: she/her/hers)
Art Librarian (Librarian II)
(848)932-7189
Email: [log in to unmask]
Twitter: @MCLotts
www.meganlotts.com

Author of Advancing a Culture of Creativity in Libraries: Programming and Engagement published by American Library Association, July 2021.