Happy Pride Month!

As June comes to an end, the Advocacy and Public Policy Committee has compiled a list of resources to support 2SLGBTQIA+ folks in our libraries, on our staff, and in our library leadership positions all year round.

The LGBTQ+ community has made great social strides in the past few decades, but as our visibility has increased, so has bigotry. Cases of book banning targeting books about gender, sexuality, and/or race have been steadily increasing in the last few years. Anti-trans legislation has been cropping up in various states and countries, and protestors have targeted drag story hour events at public libraries.

Libraries are positioned to act as social leaders to support the 2SLGBQTIA+ community by disseminating information and creating spaces of engagement and education. These resources are intended to help inform and prepare members of the library field to respond to calls for censorship and challenges to intellectual freedom.

This list is not comprehensive, but more content will be added periodically. If you have recommendations, let us know!

ARLIS/NA Statement of Support
Drag Story Hours
Banned and Challenged Books
 Supporting LGBTQ+ Library Workers and Patrons
Resources on LGBTQ+ Collections
Toolkits