Dear Arlisians,

Work is gearing up for the 52nd annual ARLIS/NA Conference to be held in
Pittsburgh April 2-5, 2024. The co-chairs Jill Chisnell, Lynn Kawaratani,
Courtney Hunt, and Michele Jennings are meeting weekly to start shaping
special events and programming. The call for proposals will be going out in
a few weeks; please submit a proposal and help us make this conference as
special as the 51st.

As we look forward to next spring, the Mexico City conference planners are
just finishing up their final report.

This was ARLIS/NA’s first ever conference in Mexico. After decades of slow
progress, this was a huge step in building relationships with our Mexican
colleagues. Additionally this conference provided attendees with scores of
opportunities to get better acquainted and fall in love with the rich
culture of Mexico City.
Ÿ  Programming highlighted Mexican libraries, librarians, arts,
architecture, and culture. This included the founder of La Biblioteca Negra
speaking at the Diversity Forum. A real conference highlight.
Ÿ  Live translation services enabled attendees to enjoy presentations in
both English and Spanish.
Ÿ  There were 17 tours, which may well be a record. From quick lunchtime
visits of neighborhood museums to a bookstore crawl to a full day excursion
to Puebla, there were many options to experience the arts of Mexico City
and its environs.
Ÿ  For anyone who did not participate in a tour or explore one of the
phenomenal local museums on their own, I hope they had a chance to visit
the exhibit *Diseño en Femenino: México 1940-2022 *while attending the
Convocation Party at the Museo Franz Meyer. Wow.
Ÿ  In the exhibits hall we had four vendors from Mexico, this was made
possible in part due to the generosity of longtime exhibitors who sponsored
tables for local book vendors. Additionally, Convocation keynote speaker
Alejandro Cartegena held a book signing in the exhibits hall. I snatched up
the last copy of *Carpoolers*. Apologies to anyone who came after me.

Many thanks to all of you who filled out the conference evaluation. While
the response was very positive, your feedback helps us refine, overhaul,
and experiment to further meet the needs of our membership.

In addition to being inspiring, educational, and connective, there were
also significant qualitative successes of the conference. We had 519
attendees (39 virtual and 480 in-person). Having anticipated 350 in-person
attendees, we were overwhelmed and delighted by this showing. The inaugural
BIPOC lunch was a great success with positive feedback from its 60
attendees. This event has officially been added to the conference planning
manual. Support from the Delmas and Kress Foundations in the amount of
$27,000 enabled 46 individuals to attend the conference in person. And
finally, while we had budgeted for a loss with this conference, we ended up
making a sizable profit, which is a great help in reducing the society’s
overall FY23 deficit. Many factors played into the financial success of the
conference, but I’d especially like to thank our exhibitors, sponsors
<https://www.arlisna.org/events/2023-annual-conference->, and donors
<https://www.arlisna.org/the-society-circle>; ARLIS/NA conferences are not
possible without their generosity.

And a huge thank you to everyone who worked on this epic conference:

Lauren Gottlieb-Miller, Program Co-Chair
Gabrielle Reed, Program Co-Chair
Jon Evans, Local Arrangements Co-Chair
Rebecca Price, 2022-2023 ARLIS/NA President
Megan Brouwer and Michaela Sawicki from Barcami Lane
As well as the entire planning team
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iVw_n0_Rut8EWKoPw6RbYMulUgRMovMMw59MxAUrxgk/edit?usp=sharing>
and many volunteers.

This was one of my favorite conferences and I’m so appreciative of all of
the work that went into it. I’m already looking forward to the next one.
The theme for our Pittsburgh conference is POP! and it is sure to go over
with a bang.

Sincerely,

Rachel

Rachel Resnik