From: Kerry Lucinda Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date: June 15, 2023 at 2:32:52 PM CDT
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ACSAA] New Book Information & Digital Resource: Project Himalayan Art

External Email - Exercise Caution

Dear Colleagues,

The Rubin Museum of Art in collaboration with a faculty Humanities Advisory Group – comprising of myself, Isabelle Charleux, Wen-shing Chou, Rob Linrothe, Christian Luczanits, Ariana Maki, Annabella Pitkin, Andrew Quintman, and Gray Tuttle – have recently launched Project Himalayan Art (https://projecthimalayanart.rubinmuseum.org/): a three-part initiative that offers comprehensive resources for teaching about Tibetan, Himalayan, and Inner Asian art and cultures, with a focus on cross-cultural exchange. This dynamic project serves as a content hub for teaching about Asia across a wide range of disciplines, including history, religion, art, and anthropology.

The project’s goal is to encourage the integration of Tibetan and Himalayan art and cultures into liberal arts curricula, expanding their inclusion in broad general surveys to more advanced upper-level courses. We seek to remedy their underrepresentation and the lack of introductory resources for teaching about the region.

The project features:

  • traveling exhibition to university museums called Gateway to Himalayan Art highlights a thematic approach to teaching and engagement with objects. First opening at Lehigh University Art Galleries this spring, the exhibition will travel to Boston College in September. There is a travel schedule of eight school venues across the country organized through 2026. The website for the exhibition includes informative essays and videos on symbols and meaning, materials and technologies, and living practices.
  • a cross-disciplinary publication, Himalayan Art in 108 Objects, is an object-centered introduction to Tibetan, Himalayan, and Inner Asian art and material culture from Neolithic to contemporary times, featuring essays from 72 international scholars. 108 significant sites and objects serve as a guide to the historical traditions, rituals, social practices, and art forms of Himalayan art and cultures. Available to pre-order today or from Amazon.
  • an expansive digital platform, Project Himalayan Art, featuring content from the accompanying traveling exhibition, all 108 essays from the publication, thematic introductions to aid students in wayfinding, an interactive map, a glossary of hundreds of definitions with audio pronunciations, over 1000 images, and videos of rituals and art-making technologies. The expandable digital platform also features teaching resources for faculty in different disciplines with suggested class units, along with a select bibliography.

Please consider utilizing these resources for your courses, but also share these resources with colleagues in your department and across your institution.

The digital platform has numerous resources relevant to the greater ACSAA community with essays that highlight cross-cultural connections to Tibetan and Himalayan cultures. I tested the platform with my students this past spring and found the online resources to be quite useful. The essays vary in length but are typically 1500-1700 words, so they are easy for students to access, have bolded key terms with pop-up glossary definitions and pronunciation assistance. Many of my students commented that they appreciated being able to listen to pronunciations and access the glossary as they read for class.

I do have a compiled list of links to essays from the digital platform with relevant connections to South Asian topics if anyone is interested. Simply email me and I will provide you with the collated set of URLs for your convenience to get started exploring the objects and topics.

I hope you enjoy exploring this resource! Feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

All the best,

Kerry
______

Dr. Kerry Lucinda Brown (she/her)