I think most of my colleagues I have worked with over the years have already retired and at the end of June, I will be retiring.

For the last several years, I have worked as the Library Director at the University of Puget Sound, so have been unable to be as engaged with ARLIS as in previous years, however it remains the single most impactful library organization I know of!  In thinking back on my career, I reflect how one of the great art librarians at the University of Delaware inspired me, as an undergraduate art history and anthropology student, to become an art librarian and I was lucky enough to complete some research at the Frick Art Reference Library as part of my capstone experience.  When I was served tea from a silver service after a morning of research, I just knew art librarianship was for me!  While silver tea services are not the norm in libraries, I have always felt it a great privilege to create library environments that are civil, beautiful and inspiring!  I was lucky to have BJ Irvine and Eileen Fry as graduate mentors and to work in so many great libraries in this country and in the UK during my career.

Recently, it has been a joy to bring artists' books to a liberal arts university and to foster community engagement.  I will be keeping my Puget Sound email and would like to thank all my colleagues for your friendship and support over the decades.

Art Librarians are the best!

Jane Carlin / Library Director
University of Puget Sound, Collins Memorial Library

1500 N. Warner St. CMB 1021

Tacoma, WA 98416
phone: (253) 879-3118

Pronouns: she/hers/her
http://pugetsound.edu/library

University of Puget Sound is on the traditional homelands of the Puyallup Tribe. The Puyallup people have lived on and stewarded these lands since the beginning of time, and continue to do so today.