Our library invested in some KIC scanners for a couple of our internal support functions and three that are available to the public. The public scanners replaced our public photocopiers about four years ago and are available free. Users can email scans to themselves or download to a USB drive. Due to popular demand, a small coin operated photocopier was brought back and placed next to the public scanners for patrons that want a paper copy.

Two of the public area KIC scanners our library invested in are overhead and I can't recommend them for visual material, particularly anything reflective.

I frequently use the KIC Avision A3 Bookedge Scanner FB6280E for remote reference requests. It will scan up to 600 dpi jpg, pdf, or png files. I have had decent results with manuscripts, photos, books and journals. Unfortunately it does not create tif format which we use for our master files so we end up saving high resolution png files as tif if it is an image we want to keep for future use. The beveled front edge is a good solution for rare books and journals if they are stable enough to hang over the edge and prevent damage to the binding and spine. Our library recently bought a high end scanner for our lab that has a book cradle and adjustable platform bed with overhead cameras. Those are a better option for particularly fragile or brittle materials.

Best,
Malia

Malia Van Heukelem
Art Archivist Librarian
Jean Charlot and Archive of Hawai‘i Artists & Architects
University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
808-956-2849