From: Bridget Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2023 1:25 PM
To: Odlevak, Janine <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Terminology suggestions: Art from "marginalized" communities

How about calling the guide "Art" or "Art Survey" or "Guide for x Course"
We often title our guides according to the class, i.e., "TH 261 - Theater History<https://libguides.cornish.edu/c.php?g=1272063>"

---
Bridget Nowlin, MA + MLIS
Director of Library Services
Cornish College of the Arts
Seattle, WA
Chat with a Librarian<https://tinyurl.com/cornishlibchat>

In-Person: Tuesday - Friday 9-6
Remote: Monday 9-3:30

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 2:57 PM Odlevak, Janine <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
Hello all - This may be a simple question to answer:

In working with my community college, art survey instructor to re-develop the IL component in their courses, we plan to set an annotated bib. assignment for which we'll create a Guide.

The guide name at present is "Art of Marginalized Communities."

Question:
Is there a term art librarians and historians prefer instead of marginalized?

I didn't see marginalized in the AAT, but may not have searched it correctly.

The instructor has identified the following groups to include in the guide as a starting point:

  *   Folk art
  *   Children's art
  *   Women
  *   Persons with disabilities
  *   LGBTQ+
  *   (Non-western)

Many thanks!
Janine Odlevak
Spokane CC Library

Mail submissions to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/membership/join-arlisna Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.arlisna.org<http://lsv.arlisna.org/> Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>