Library Director - Dallas Museum of Art, Dallas, TX

Location:Dallas, TX
Salary: $75,000
Employment Term: Full-time
Employer Contact: [log in to unmask]
Reports to: Chief Curatorial and Research Officer
Level: Director
Benefits: Full Museum benefits
Schedule: M-F 9-5

Mission: The Dallas Museum of Art is a space of wonder and discovery where art comes alive.

The DMA will:

  *   Place art and our diverse communities at the center around which all activities radiate.
  *   Pursue excellence in collecting and programming, present works of art across cultures and time, and be a driving force in contemporary art.
  *   Strengthen our position as a prominent, innovative institution, expanding the meaning and possibilities of learning and creativity.

About the Dallas Museum of Art:

Established in 1903, the Dallas Museum of Art is among the 10 largest art museums in the country and is distinguished by its commitment to research, innovation, and public engagement. At the heart of the Museum and its programs is its global collection, which encompasses more than 22,000 works and spans 5,000 years of history, representing a full range of world cultures. Located in the heart of the nation’s largest arts district, the Museum welcomes some 600,000 visitors annually and acts as a catalyst for community creativity, engaging people of all ages and backgrounds with a diverse spectrum of programming, from exhibitions and lectures to concerts, literary events, and dramatic and dance presentations. In January 2013, the DMA returned to a free general admission policy and launched DMA Friends, the first free museum membership program in the country, which currently has over 70,000 members. For more information, visit DMA.org<http://www.dma.org/>. The Dallas Museum of Art is supported, in part, by the generosity of Museum Partners and donors and by the citizens of Dallas through the City of Dallas/Office of Cultural Affairs and the Texas Commission on the Arts.

Scope of the Position:

The ideal candidate for The Mildred R. and Frederick M. Mayer Library Director will be a tireless advocate and research expert who oversees the development and stewardship of the existing holdings and collections of the library and archives as well as championing the future vision of the library and archives with staff, trustees, donors, research partners, and community members. The Mayer Library collects and provides access to resources that support research on the DMA's global collection and special exhibitions.  The library’s collection comprises over 100,000 volumes including books, journals, artist files, and auction catalogs. The DMA Archives consists of museum archives that document the activities and operations of the DMA; and special collections related to the Dallas arts community, museum collections, and curatorial research. The departmental collections, which are available for use by staff and public patrons, document institutional memory, preserve the publishing history of the museum and collections, and support scholarly research. The Library Team is comprised of eight full- and part-time professional staff.

Duties and Responsibilities:

  *   Provide leadership and direction in the management and operation of the library and archives. Develop short- and long-term plans and communicate priorities for departmental activities, which include research services, collection development and acquisitions, technical services, and collection management.
  *   Supervises and mentors the Librarian and Archivist.
  *   Set performance standards for the Librarian and Archivist, and their staff. Establish a work environment that facilitates open communication, constructive feedback, professional growth, and retention of committed staff.
  *   Oversee library and archives collection development in coordination with the growth of the museum’s collections, research initiatives, programs, and activities. Develop and maintain relationships with vendors and donors.  Identify, evaluate, and steward major acquisitions for the department.
  *   Foster an environment of research and discovery.
  *   Promote library and archives collections and services to museum staff, supporters, and donors, area professionals, and the general public.
  *   Ensure staff, systems, and facilities are in place to document, house, and present collections. Lead space planning initiatives. Administer the library management system with support from the Librarian.
  *   Develop and support library and archives policies that balance access and use with effective preservation and security of the collections.
  *   Develop and manage departmental budgets and approve all expenditures and transfers for the library and archives operating budgets and funds.  Prepare annual reports of activities and accomplishments. Identify opportunities for grant proposals.
  *   Serve as a visible advocate for the department. Participate in interdivisional teams to provide professional expertise, encourage use of research services and collections, gather relevant information for setting departmental priorities, and collaborate with museum colleagues.
  *   Collaborate with the Librarian and Archivist to support research activities leading to DMA acquisitions, exhibitions, programs, and publications.
  *   Maintain and support active involvement in professional organizations and activities relevant to institutional priorities and art museum libraries or archives. Remain well-informed of current professional standards as relevant.
  *   Complete, direct, or assign special projects as required.
  *   Adhere to Museum policies and support management decisions in a positive, professional manner.
  *   Conform to the AAMD code of ethics governing the art museum profession.

Requirements

Education, Experience, and Certification:

  *   Master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science from an American Library Association accredited institution
  *   Reading knowledge of one or more modern languages in addition to English to support collection development is preferred
  *   Ten or more years of directly applicable experience working in a museum or academic library setting
  *   Five or more years’ experience in a management role supervising the work of others as well as financial management of a department or organization

Key Qualifications:

  *   Excellent written and oral communication skills.
  *   Broad and specialized subject knowledge in the field of art history, and related fields, and the ability to apply that knowledge to collection development and organization in an encyclopedic art museum setting.
  *   Knowledge of the art book trade.
  *   Knowledge of a wide variety of research and reference methods and materials including major bibliographic utilities and computer-based information resources to support curatorial research.
  *   Knowledge of library technologies that advance collections access, stewardship, and research activities.
  *   Ability to provide effective direction to professional and support staff incorporating current methods, procedures, and techniques as applied to both library and archival collections.
  *   Demonstrated aptitude for collaborative team-based work.
  *   Ability to manage and participate in simultaneous projects.
  *   Ability to interpret and apply governmental regulations.
  *   Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with using MS Office Suite programs and computer applications in museums and libraries.
  *   Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time, climb ladders, and lift 30 pounds.

Our Core Values

  *   Act with Integrity: We are honest and ethical.
  *   Build Inclusivity: We create spaces where everyone can feel like they belong.
  *   Communicate respectfully: We listen intentionally and advocate for diverse perspectives.
  *   Embrace and Drive Change: We are innovative, creative, and solutions driven.
  *   Foster Connections: We collaborate around shared goals.
  *   Maintain Balance: We encourage ourselves and each other to reflect and recharge.
  *   Remain Curious: We pursue personal and professional learning.

Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion

The Dallas Museum of Art fosters equity, celebrates diversity, and supports inclusion. We acknowledge that diverse backgrounds and voices of visitors, volunteers, trustees, staff, and communities represented in the collection make us stronger and better equipped to make positive impacts locally, nationally, and internationally.

Equity

Society’s historical legacies and systemic barriers have created disparities in the communities we serve. Knowing this, we strive to expand and enhance arts opportunities for all.

Diversity

Many factors—including but not limited to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetics, economic backgrounds, and experiences—make individuals and groups unique. Our goal is to ensure visitors, volunteers, trustees, staff, and collections reflect this diversity.

Inclusion

We commit to listening to and learning from diverse voices and perspectives. We create a vibrant and accessible social space that encourages dialogue and the exchange of ideas through arts and culture.

EOE

The Dallas Museum of Art is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The DMA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.

Salary Description
$75,000

APPLY HERE<https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/1366351>
[https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/GetLogoFileById?logoFileStoreId=49356276]<https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/1366351>