What about specialized communities?

On Apr 11, 2023, at 7:45 PM, Janine Henri <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Oh dear, please don’t use “marginalized” to describe these topics! Why would one consider non-Western art as marginalized? Or folk art traditions? Or Art by women artists, etc? And why group them together into a category? Why can’t each of these subjects stand on their on? If they all need to be on the same guide couldn’t the guide just be for “Special Topics” or “Selected Topics?”

Janine Henri
Emerita Librarian,UCLA
(Full disclosure, my spouse taught a full range of Asian Art History courses for years and always incorporated folk traditions on his syllabi for the introductory courses on art of India and Southeast Asia, or art of China, or art of Japan. And my own graduate work focused on Islamic art of India.)

Sent from my iPhone