Research Services Librarian - Bard Graduate Center, New York, NY

Location: New York City
Salary: $65,000-$68,000
Employment Term: Full-time

Employer Contact: [log in to unmask]

DESCRIPTION

The Bard Graduate Center<https://www.bgc.bard.edu/> is a graduate research institute in New York City dedicated to the study of the cultural history of the material world and committed to the encyclopedic study of things, drawing on methodologies and approaches from art and design history, history of technology, philosophy, anthropology, and archaeology and cultural history. Our students gravitate to careers in museums, academia, the art world, and publishing.  Our MA and PhD<https://www.bgc.bard.edu/ma-phd/> degree programs, Gallery<https://www.bgc.bard.edu/gallery/25/overview> exhibitions, research initiatives<https://www.bgc.bard.edu/research-forum/>, and public programs<https://www.bgc.bard.edu/events/> explore new ways of thinking about decorative arts, design history, and material culture.

Bard Graduate Center (BGC) invites applications for an innovative and collaborative Research Services Librarian  to join our small, dynamic team exploring creative ways to collect, preserve and activate our research collections. This is a full-time (35 hour/week), on-site position at our campus on West 86th Street in New York City.

The Department of Research Collections encompasses a 70,000 volume library, a Study Collection of nearly 3,000 objects, and our institutional archive. The library, which circulates internally, serves nearly 100 graduate students, 15 faculty members and also supports research by our curatorial staff and visiting scholars.

Reporting to the Director of Research Collections, the Research Services Librarian is responsible for a wide range of patron-facing services including reference, bibliographic instruction, research support, interlibrary loans, special collections access, orientations for students and fellows, coordinating consultations for outside visitors, and maintaining the department’s web presence.

This work is firmly grounded in the Library’s commitment to expand diversity, equity, access and inclusion in all aspects of our research collections, and we seek a flexible and creative thinker who is eager to contribute to a reimagining of the library. The ideal candidate will be able to work collaboratively, to develop their own ideas, and to grow professionally within this position.

CORE RESPONSIBILITIES:

REFERENCE & INSTRUCTION

  *   Responsible for the reference & circulation desk, and delegation of reference services such as research consultations, reference email and appointments with library visitors.
  *   Planning August orientation sessions for incoming students and coordinating bibliographic instruction sessions (led by both the Research Services Librarian and other staff members).
  *   Engaging the BGC community through outreach and brainstorming ways to increase library visibility (for example through programs, social media, email, etc.).
  *   Oversees website content management and maintains online research tools, including Libguides, ensuring that the library’s collections and services are clearly represented.

INTERLIBRARY LOAN & ACCESS SERVICES

  *   Manage interlibrary loans, overseeing the lending, and directly responsible for the borrowing for students and faculty.
  *   Keeps ILL statistics and works closely with the Acquisitions Librarian on ILL-generated collection development.
  *   Facilitates usage of the auction catalog, special collections and thesis/dissertation collections.
  *   Monitors our small circulation system, checking out books to faculty and gallery staff, and manages student shelves.

SHARED RESPONSIBILITIES

  *   Collaborate with library staff and faculty on preparing course reserves materials each semester.
  *   Train and supervise our part-time campus employees.
  *   Contributes to the DRC’s Diversity, Equity, Access and Inclusion working group and actively engages in efforts to make the library a welcoming environment.
  *   Plans and develops policies and practices related to library services to ensure that the needs of all BGC patrons are met.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS

  *   An ALA-accredited Master’s in Library and Information Science (MLIS) or Master’s in Library Studies (MLS) degree.
  *   Experience working in an academic or museum library
  *   Demonstrated experience with reference and bibliographic instruction.
  *   Knowledge of print and electronic resources in material culture and design history.
  *   Experience with developing LibGuides based on student and curricular needs.
  *   Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively with diverse faculty, students, and gallery staff.
  *   Commitment to advancing BGC’s stated goals for diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
  *   Maintain knowledge of current trends in reference/research services, library instruction, information literacy and scholarly communication, and incorporate these trends into the work of the Library.

DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS

  *   Masters-level degree in art and design history or a related field.
  *   Working knowledge of at least one foreign language.
  *   Experience with Interlibrary Loan

We expect the successful candidate to be stronger in some qualifications listed above than others; we are committed to helping our future colleague expand their skills, and hope to learn from their areas of strength.

SALARY & BENEFITS:

The salary range for this position is $65,000 - 68,000 + a generous benefits package.

TO APPLY:

Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references to  [log in to unmask]

Review of applications will begin on May 1st and continue until the position is filled. First-round interviews will be conducted over Zoom.

Bard College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated and follow the guidelines and protocols established to address campus safety regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.

Bard College is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information.

Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.