Webinar may be of interest to the ARLIS/NA community:

Where are we now in LIS Education: Sexual and Gender Minority Privacy

April 5, 2023, 1-2 pm ET

Registration
<https://ali.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_jevents&task=icalrepeat.d
etail&evid=127&Itemid=213&year=2023&month=04&day=05&title=alise-webinar--whe
re-are-we-now-in-lis-education-sexual-and-gender-minority-privacy&uid=c94e61
15530848eb19770f3795e90565>

Presented By:

Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran, Assistant Professor, San Jose State University
Dr. Darra L. Hofman, Assistant Professor, San Jose State University

Moderated By:

Nora Bird, Associate Professor and Program Director, University of North
Carolina at Greensboro

Presentation Description:

Library professionals must deal with complex ethical challenges that
implicate the rights and needs of countless different communities. While
these challenges are often dealt with, at an institutional level, through
policy, creating, implementing, and utilizing policy are all skills that
require training. Through our research, we attempted to address this
important question: "Are LIS programs preparing their students to meet the
needs of LGBTQ+ patrons and stakeholders from a policy perspective in the
workplace?" We utilized a research design that included a survey of LIS
faculty, a content analysis of American Library Association-approved masters
programs' learning outcomes and syllabi, a document analysis of the privacy
policies of a purposive sample of libraries from all segments of
librarianship, and semi-structured interviews with library employers within
the United States and Canada.

In this Webinar, we will provide an update on what we have found through
this research relevant to the research question. In closing, we will offer
details on the Research Grant program competition. This research was
supported by the 2021-2022 Association for Library and Information Science
Education (ALISE) Research grant.