From: ARLIS/NA List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Rebecca K. Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2023 10:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Unknown Italian Renaissance painting of the Annunciation

Hello all,

I am passing on a question from an outside patron, hoping that someone might be able to help. I did some searching online, in ArtStor, in the digitized content from Frick's Photoarchive, in BHA a bit, the Index of Medieval Art, Bridgeman Education, a recent book called Divine Conception by Sarah Drummond, etc.

Thanks very much, Rebecca

Some 40 years ago I saw a print of the Annunciation in a Catholic Magazine whose name I cannot recall.  The artist (I cannot recall his name) was renaissance Italian. The painting was being displayed at the London national Gallery at the time. The painting was stark and austere. Unconventional.

 The Virgin Mary was portrayed as a typical young maiden sitting on the edge of her bed, gazing out the window of her humble stone dwelling. There was no depiction of God the Father or God the Holy Spirit or the Archangel Gabriel. There was no shining light. No halo around Mary’s head.

Don Cipoletto
29 School St.
Clark, NJ 07066

Rebecca K. Friedman
Assistant Librarian, Marquand Library

c/o Firestone Library, A-15G
One Washington Road

Princeton University, Princeton, NJ  08544
(609) 258-3163; main (609) 258-3783
http://library.princeton.edu/libraries/marquand