image.png

Don’t miss the Saturday, April 22, tour to the Ciudad Universitaria campus of UNAM (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México). UNESCO named the campus a World Heritage Site in 2007, describing it as “a unique example of 20th century modernism integrating urbanism, architecture, engineering, landscape design and fine arts with references to local traditions, especially to Mexico’s pre-Hispanic past.” With some 300,000 students, UNAM is the largest university in Mexico.

We are pleased now to provide a fuller itinerary. Among UNAM’s artistic and architectural treasures, certainly the most spectacular is Juan O’Gorman’s iconic and monumental mosaic mural Historical Representation of Culture. Wrapping the Biblioteca Central’s exterior, it ranks among the most striking library facades anywhere. We will visit Diego Rivera’s unfinished sculpt-mural at the Olympic stadium, which he once envisioned as “undoubtedly the most important achievement of my life as an artist.” Other highlights are UNAM’s concentration of mid-century modernist buildings (a collaboration of more than sixty architects) and murals by David Alfaro Siqueiros and José Chávez Morado.

Lunch (at tourgoers’ expense) will whet appetites for the sites to follow. Opening Plenary Session speaker Sol Henaro has generously offered to host us at the Arkheia Documentation Center, where she is Curator. We will tour MUAC, the outstanding contemporary art museum at UNAM. Among featured artists at MUAC during April are Francis Alys, Gala Porras-King, and Mónica de Miranda. And the exhibition Giro gráfico “presents graphic actions in public space that have been carried out by activists and artists working at the intersection of art and politics in Latin America.” Genesis Go’s tour guide will accompany and enlighten us throughout. Significant walking involved. Hope to see you!

Register HERE.

image.png

Biblioteca Central, Juan O’Gorman mural, UNAM

image.png

MUAC, UNAM

image.png

David Alfaro Siqueiros mural, UNAM

image.png

José Chávez Morado mural, UNAM

Posted on behalf of Craig Bunch, Tours Co-coordinator