Hello,

Some changes here at Emily Carr University.

I will be leaving my role at University Librarian and taking up the role of Director, Library Services + Learning Commons at Langara College, which is also located in Vancouver, BC.

Although I will be leaving the Art Library environment I will continue to be an ARLIS/NA member. In particular, I will maintain my role at the co-chair of the Strategic Planning committee and of course I look froward to convening with everyone in Mexico City in April.

The Interim University Librarian at Emily Carr will be Vanessa Kam. Many of you will know Vanessa as a fellow ARLIS/NA member.

Vanessa joined Emily Carr University in 2021, and is currently Electronic Resources Librarian and liaison to the Faculty of Design + Dynamic Media.  Previously, she was Head Librarian of the Ute & Bill Bowes Art & Architecture Library at Stanford University, Stanford, California; Head Librarian of the Music, Art and Architecture Library at the University of British Columbia; and Kress Fellow at the Yale University Art Library in New Haven, Connecticut.

Vanessa holds two master’s degrees in art history and library and information science from the University of Texas at Austin. Her research and writing interests include artists’ archives, artists’ books, bias in library classification systems and the future of art libraries and art publishing.  Vanessa’s essays The Tenacious Book, Part 1 and Part 2, about the resilience of the printed art book in a digital world, received the Art Libraries Society of North America’s Worldwide Art Books Publications Award (2015). Vanessa has formal training in music and has performed as a singer in bands. She also enjoys photography.

Please join me in congratulating Vanessa and welcoming her to the role!

My last day at Emily Carr is February 3. After February 20 you can reach me at [log in to unmask]

Vanessa's first official day as UL will be February 4.

Kind regards,

Suzanne

--

Suzanne Rackover (she/her)

University Librarian

Library + Archives

Emily Carr University of Art + Design

tel 604 844 3836

room C2219

520 East 1st Ave, Vancouver BC, V5T 0H2, Canada

[log in to unmask]    ecuad.ca

Emily Carr University is situated on unceded, traditional and ancestral xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish), and səl̓ilw̓ətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) territories.