FYI -- please excuse cross-postings

Dear all,

ARLIS/UK & Ireland (The Art Libraries Society) is now accepting applications for the ARLIS Global Majority Art Librarianship Scholarship 2023; a scholarship which covers the fees of an accredited Library, Information or Archives postgraduate qualification for a student from a Global Majority background as a small positive action acknowledging the ongoing underrepresentation of Black library workers and library workers of colour within art librarianship.

The deadline for applications is Sunday 26th February 2023. Full details below and on the ARLIS website. Please direct questions to [log in to unmask]

Last year’s scholarship winner, Shakira Rawlins, had this to say:

“I was successful in my application for the ARLIS Global Majority Librarianship Scholarship 2022. Not only has it allowed me to pursue professional development without financial hardship, but I have had the opportunity to attend the Art Libraries Society Conference and meet a wider network of art library professionals. The ARLIS scholarship has opened a whole new world of career possibilities and connections, for which I will be forever grateful.”

Shakira is studying on the Information Management MSc at The University of the West of England (UWE), with fees paid by ARLIS and is discussing mentorship from Tavian Hunter, Library Manager at the Stuart Hall Library, Institute of International Visual Arts (Iniva).

Best wishes,

ARLIS/UK & Ireland (The Art Libraries Society)

ARLIS/UK & Ireland – Global Majority Art Librarianship Scholarship 2023

ARLIS UK & Ireland (The Art Libraries Society) are pleased to open applications to the ‘fees only’ scholarship for an individual undertaking a UK accredited Library, Information, or Archive Studies postgraduate qualification as a small first step towards addressing the ongoing underrepresentation of Black library workers and library workers of colour within art librarianship. The scholarship is now in its second year and will be awarded annually (subject to financial stability), with details and the application form made available from the ARLIS UK & Ireland website.

We acknowledge that art librarianship in the UK and Ireland continues to be overwhelmingly white. The 2015 UK information sector workforce survey found the profession to be 96.7% white. This reinforces the urgency and importance of steps to increase global majority access to qualifications which often remain a prerequisite for entry to the profession and development to senior roles. While we do not uncritically support the need for a qualification to perform valuable work in libraries, we do believe that university fees are a significant barrier to entry for many. The scholarship is a key recommendation of the ARLIS Equity Steering Group, whose work we are grateful for.

We welcome applicants from Black, Asian or minority ethnic / Global Majority backgrounds. Students applying to any UK postgraduate (MA, MSc, PgDip, PgCert) course accredited by CILIP are eligible, but courses which include modules or studies relevant to art librarianship (such as placements at a member institution) may strengthen an application. Students applying for full-time, or part-time or modular courses are eligible, as are distance learning options. The successful applicant should be eligible for Home fees. Fees will be paid directly to the university.

Applications for the 2023-4 academic year are now open.

Deadline: 23.59 on Sunday 26th February 2023

Applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application no later than: Friday 10th March 2023.

In addition to the fees award, ARLIS is keen to explore options to enhance the scholarship, such as by offering mentorship or a student placement at a relevant institution and would be happy to discuss this with the successful applicant. We would also encourage and support the successful applicant to consider contributing to the Art Libraries Journal or presenting at the ARLIS Annual Conference. While the amount of financial support offered is strictly limited to covering home fees up to a maximum of £12,000, we recognise that difficulties in circumstances may arise and where possible would seek to assist the successful candidate find additional opportunities if they struggled to continue their studies.

Selection will be based on the strength of the application. Evaluation criteria include how the award will benefit the individual, the interest and relevance of the study or research that will result from undertaking the qualification, and any wider benefits to libraries, librarianship, communities and society.

Please share widely with your networks and any eligible individuals who may be interested. Enquiries can be directed to [log in to unmask]

Application form in PDF            Application form in Word

Guidelines

  1. Membership of ARLIS is not a requirement but evidence of engagement with art libraries and archives will benefit an application.
  2. Employment or experience of working in art libraries and archives is not required.
  3. Current officers and Council members of ARLIS/UK & Ireland are eligible to apply however, Grant Panel members are not eligible.
  4. Applications for this round of the scholarship must be to commence study in 2023. The scholarship will be advertised again next year for entry in the 2023/4 academic year.
  5. Within six months of the commencing study, the recipient of the scholarship shall present a written reflection of 1000-1500 words to ARLIS Council, for publication on the ARLIS website.
  6. If an application is not successful, it may be resubmitted the following year.
  7. The Grants Panel may request further information or request clarification of details included in the application.
  8. The decisions of the Grants Panel and ARLIS Council shall be final, and no correspondence regarding them shall be entered into.
  9. If the successful scholarship applicant is not awarded a place on a university course or does not take it up, ARLIS Council may make the award to the runner up candidate. The original candidate can reapply the following year.
  10. ARLIS Council reserves the right to make no award if no suitable application is received.

Visit the official page of ARLIS UK & Ireland http://www.arlis.net/Home. Subscribe to https://arlismatters.wordpress.com/, to receive regular posts on art library and archive matters; news, print and digital art and design resources, artists’ books, recent and upcoming events and exhibitions, ARLIS/UK & Ireland publications, job listings and professional profiles.

Stephanie Beene, MA, MSIS (she/her)
Associate Professor, Liaison Librarian for the Art Department and the School of Architecture & Planning
https://ulls.unm.edu/people/directory/b/beene-stephanie.php

Schedule an appointment with me @: https://libcal.unm.edu/appointments/sbeene

Fine Arts & Design Library,
George Pearl Hall 435
College of University Libraries & Learning Sciences
University of New Mexico MSC05 3020
Albuquerque, NM 87131