Dear colleagues,

The conference planning team is excited to share our full slate of programs and tours with you all through SCHED later this week. Additionally, this year we will be livestreaming 12 key panels for members joining us remotely as part of this year’s virtual option.

While you’ll have to wait *just* a few more days to see the full slate of talks and tours, I am pleased to announce our three remarkable invited speakers presenting this year’s Opening Plenary, Convocation Keynote, and Closing Plenary:

sol 2022.foto dani laborde.jpegOpening Plenary with Sol Henaro: Wednesday, April 19th @ 3:30pm CST

Sol Henaro (Mexico City, Mexico) was co-curator of the MUCA Roma from 2000 to 2003 and in 2004 she founded the Contemporary Cell, a project that she directed until 2006. She has curated dozens of exhibitions including “No-Group: A jiggle to the artistic corset” (Museum of Modern Art, 2010). Her interest in questioning the construction of the historiographical story has led her to ponder various singularities not so visible within artistic genealogy, an interest that found an echo and complicity in the Red Conceptualismos del Sur, of which she has been a member since 2010. She has published various texts in specialized publications, including her book "Melquiades Herrera" published by Alias ​​Editorial in 2015. From 2011 to mid-2015, she held the position of Curator of the Artistic Heritage of the University Museum of Contemporary Art where she currently holds the position of Curator of Documentary Heritage and is responsible for the Arkheia Documentation Center. In 2017 she received the National University Distinction Recognition for young academics in the field of artistic creation and extension of culture from National Autonomous University of Mexico.

Alejandro Cartagena «Cuando un fotógrafo hace una foto de una ciudad, me parece que está haciendo preguntas» – marcel del castilloConvocation Keynote with Alejando Cartegena: Thursday, April 20th @ 4:30pm CST

Alejandro Cartejena (Monterrey, Mexico) is a self-publisher and co-editor and has created several award winning titles including Insurrection Nation, Studio Cartagena 2021, Santa Barbara Save US, Skinnerboox, 2020, A Small Guide to Homeownership, The Velvet Cell 2020, We Love Our Employees, Gato Negro 2019, Santa Barbara Shame on US, Skinnerboox, 2017, A Guide to Infrastructure and Corruption, The velvet Cell, 2017, Rivers of Power, Newwer, 2016, Santa Barbara return Jobs to US, Skinnerboox, 2016, Headshots, Self-published, 2015, Before the War, Self-published, 2015, Carpoolers, Self-published with support of FONCA Grant, 2014, Suburbia Mexicana, Daylight/ Photolucida 2010. Some of his books are in the Yale University Library, the Tate Britain, and the 10×10 Photobooks/MFH Houston book collections among others. Cartagena has received several awards including the international Photolucida Critical Mass Book Award, the Street Photography Award in London Photo Festival, the Lente Latino Award in Chile, the Premio IILA-FotoGrafia Award in Rome and the Salon de la Fotografia of Fototeca de Nuevo Leon in Mexico among others. He has been named an International Discoveries of the FotoFest festival, a FOAM magazine TALENT and an Emerging photographer of PDN magazine. He has also been a finalist for the Aperture Portfolio Award and has been nominated for the Santa Fe Photography Prize, the Prix Pictet Prize, the Photoespaña Descubrimientos Award and the FOAM Paul Huff Award. His work has been published internationally in magazines and newspapers such as Newsweek, Nowness, Domus, the Financial Times, The New York Times, Le Monde, Stern, PDN, The New Yorker, and Wallpaper among others.

Art History Professor Barbara E. MundyClosing Plenary with Dr. Barbara Mundy: Friday, April 21st @ 11:00am CST

Barbara E. Mundy’s (New Orleans, Louisiana, USA) scholarship dwells in zones of contact between Native peoples and settler colonists as they forged new visual cultures in the Americas. She has been particularly interested in the social construction of space and its imaginary, which was the subject of her first book, The Mapping of New Spain. Her most recent book, The Death of Aztec Tenochtitlan, the Life of Mexico City, draws on Indigenous texts and representations to counter a colonialist historiography and to argue for the city’s nature as an Indigenous city through the sixteenth century. Mundy's current book project, "The Embodiment of the Word: European Book Culture and New World Manuscripts." Rather than considering Indigenous manuscripts as phenomena separate from European books, it situates native bookmakers in the midst of the new technological revolution brought about by the printing press. While Martin Luther’s innovations (and conflagrations) take up most of the oxygen in the history of print in the early sixteenth century, attracting less attention, but equally radical, was the Spanish crown’s use of the new technology to control, via standardization, governance, language, and history. The testing ground of this imperial project was the “Indies,” as their American territories were called, and it is within this context that her protagonists--Indigenous writers, painters and bookmakers--operated. With Dana Leibsohn, Mundy is the co-creator of Vistas: Visual Culture in Spanish America, 1520-1820. Digital projects are a fundamental part of her teaching practice. Mundy was the 2021-22 Kislak Chair at the Library of Congress; she has had fellowships at the Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts at the National Gallery of Art and at the John Carter Brown Library. She serves on the editorial board of Estudios de cultura náhuatl and is the current president of the American Society for Ethnohistory. Prior to coming to Tulane, she was a Professor of Art History at Fordham University in New York.

This year we had the biggest response to our call for proposals that we have had in recent memory and we are looking forward to sharing it with you in the coming days, so watch ARLIS-L and the ARLIS/NA Website for updates!

There is still time contribute this year’s program! Our call for posters is extended a week! Please submit by January 27th for consideration. We can’t wait to welcome you all to Mexico City in three short months.

Sincerely,

Lauren Gottlieb-Miller

Programs Co-Chair, ARLIS/NA Annual Conference in Mexico City

Lauren Gottlieb-Miller

Director of the Library and Archives

THE MENIL COLLECTION

1511 Branard Street

Houston, Texas 77006

713.525.9424

Conference Co-Chair, ARLIS/NA

51ª conferencia anual en la Ciudad de México
18 - 24 abril 2023
CFP for Posters, Deadline January 20!:
https://www.openconf.org/arlisna2023/openconf.php

Pronouns: she, her, ella