Hello fellow ARLIS members and future visitors to Mexico City!

The conference planning team is pleased to share that the venue for our Convocation reception while in Mexico City has been chosen. We’ll be convening at the Museo Franz Mayer, a museum dedicated to the decorative arts from around the globe dating from the 15th to the 20th century.

Comprised of more than 10,000 objects, the collection features furniture, ceramics, textiles, paintings, and silver acquired by German immigrant Franz Mayer, who bequeathed the collection to his adopted country in 1975. A particular emphasis is placed upon Mexican art objects, including Talavera pottery, silver reliquaries, and inlaid furniture, as well as jewelry pieces designed by William Spratling.

Situated just across Alameda Park and a short distance from our conference hotel, the Museum is housed in an 18th century mansion originally designed to store grain prior to becoming a hospital and ultimately a museum. In addition to its rich collections, the Museum houses a spectacular library that will be open during the course of the evening for attendees to explore. Found within are incunabula, Bibles, missals, choir books, and manuscripts, as well as an extensive collection devoted to the writings of Cervantes.

We look forward to seeing you all in late April in the courtyard of the Franz Mayer!

Until then,

Jon

Jon Evans

ARLIS/NA Mexico City Conference Co-Chair

Chief of Libraries & Archives

MFA H | Museum of fine arts, houston

Work: 713-639-7393; Cell: 832-273-6492

https://www.mfah.org/research/libraries/