This CFP from ARLIS UK and Ireland may be of interest to ARLIS/NA *student
members*, although the Symposium itself sounds awesome for any member
working with exhibitions and/or book arts. It looks like it will be held as
a hybrid conference at the University of Manchester, UK, from July 17-18,
2023 ("The symposium has been organised in collaboration with Ph.D.
candidates from the Université Libre de Bruxelles, the University of
Helsinki, and the Institute for Cultural Practices at the University of
Manchester.") Please see below for more details.

*---Forwarded content below:---*

* International Graduate Student Symposium **on the study of books and
literature **in exhibitions*

*Call for Papers*

The multimodal and multifaceted ways in which books and literature may be
exploited in exhibitions have captured the attention of scholars from a
variety of disciplines: from museum and curatorial studies to literary
criticism, art history, communication and media studies, cultural studies,
sociology, history, and reception studies as well as educational sciences
and material culture scholarship. Although this wide-ranging
interdisciplinary approach is testimony to the richness and singularity of
books and literature as exhibition material, it also highlights the
scattered ways in which this research has been conducted thus far. As a
result, we are hard-pressed to find a single source of theoretical and
methodological frameworks whereupon we may build a dedicated museology of
the book. This museology would seek to bring together analytical
reflections on the book as an exhibition object but also strands of
academic research concerned with the use of literature as an exhibition
subject and with the exhibition space as a medium for literary explorations.

With this aim in mind, we are inviting contributions for a two-day graduate
student symposium on the study of books and literature in exhibitions which
will be held in a hybrid format at the University of Manchester (UK) on
17th/18th July 2023. The symposium has been organised in collaboration with
Ph.D. candidates from the Université Libre de Bruxelles, the University of
Helsinki, and the Institute for Cultural Practices at the University of
Manchester.

In organising this symposium, we seek to:

   -

   provide a platform for students at any stage of their research to
   present and discuss their investigations with fellow students in a friendly
   and constructive atmosphere
   -

   bring together individuals who share an interest in this field,
   kickstarting conversations on potential collaboration projects and the
   formation of other interest-based networks within the community
   -

   build a body of academic resources for future reference

To narrow the focus of this symposium, we ask contributions to consider the
“book” in its many physical forms except digital and to address the
“exhibition” as an in-person event of any scale and curatorial input which
may take place in museums, libraries, writers’ houses, and any other venues
dedicated to the promotion of books and literature. Likewise, to encourage
the sharing of relevant methodological approaches and theoretical
frameworks, we invite reflections around the following three research axes:

The first axis seeks to explore the impact that musealisation (Régnier
2015) may have on our literary heritage from an institutional perspective.
As the decision to exhibit is never a neutral gesture (Bal 1996), we want
to ask to what extent may an exhibition shape our connections with
literature, literary history, and book culture. Has this changed over time,
and if so, how (Martens and Roussel-Gillet 2022)?

The second axis interrogates the exhibition space as a specific form of
communication (Davallon 2000). With this axis, we want to build on the
latest interdisciplinary debates on the exhibition as a readable “text” and
discourse (Ravelli 2006; Bal 1996); on the museum and the library as a
narrative space (Ryan, Foote and Azaryahu 2016), and on the act of
exhibiting as a “literary dispositif” (Anastasio and Rhein eds. 2021)
amongst others. We also want to include here any investigations on issues
of reception and knowledge transfer that may have been carried out, for
example, through the lens of  “remediation” (Bolter and Grusin 2000).

The third axis seeks to deepen our understanding of the agency of books as
exhibition objects. To this end, we build on material culture studies that
allow us to consider the idea of the book as “lively matter” (Jane Bennet
2010; Muller and Langill eds. 2022). In addition, we want to draw attention
to the emotional connections that people may have with books outside the
exhibition context. We wonder to what extent these connections add to the
agency of books and whether this affective agency plays any role in the
elicitation of an exhibition experience. Is there also potential in this
knowledge to inform and transform traditional curatorial practice?

In this vein, contributions may address (but are not limited to) any of the
following topics:

   -

   the remediation process of an abstract concept such as literature in a
   physical space
   -

   the plasticity of narratological categories and theories (logo-centred)
   to study exhibitions (object-centred)
   -

   the contributions of literary studies to any aspect of the museological
   discourse on exhibitions
   -

   the influence of art history and visual culture on the display of books
   and literature in exhibitions
   -

   the formulation of new conceptual tools and paradigms to unpack
   exhibition experiences

Guidelines for Submission

We welcome contributions in the following formats:

   -

   20 minutes presentation addressing a particular topic followed by 10
   minutes of general discussion

   -

   Lightning talks (5 minutes) or short presentations in the form of
   PechaKuchas  <https://www.pechakucha.com/>or similar suited for
   reporting on ongoing research and/or research in its early stages, followed
   by 5 minutes discussion

   -

   Roundtables: this should engage participants (max. 3) in a 1.5-hour
   discussion around a specific topic or issue and be moderated by the session
   organiser(s)

Please send abstracts of no more than 300 words and a short biographical
statement (c. 200 words) to [log in to unmask] using
the subject heading ‘EBL Symposium Proposal’.

Proposals must be submitted in English, the language of the conference.

The call for papers will remain open until 13 February 2023. We aim to set
the programme and notify candidates no later than the end of March 2023.

Participation and attendance, including meals and refreshments, are free of
charge. Travel costs and accommodation are not covered.  For more
information, please visit the symposium website:

https://eblsymposium.wixsite.com/exhibitingwords

Organising Committee

   -

   Susana Sanchez-Gonzalez, Institute for Cultural Practices, University of
   Manchester
   -

   Camille Van Vyve, Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
   -

   Sanna Mari Niemi, University of Helsinki

Anastasio, Matteo and Jan Rhein (eds.). Transitzonen zwischen Literatur und
Museum. Berlin/Boston: De Gruyter, 2021.

Bal, Mieke. Double Exposures: The Subject of Cultural Analysis. New York:
Routledge, 1996.

Bennett, Jane. Vibrant Matter: A Political Ecology of Things. Durham: Duke
University Press, 2010.

Bolter, Jay David and Richard Grusin (eds.). Remediation. Understanding New
Media. London: MIT Press, 2000.

Davallon, Jean. L'exposition à l'œuvre: Stratégies de communication et
médiation symbolique. Paris: L'Harmattan, 2000.

Martens, David and Isabelle Roussel-Gillet (eds.). Les littératures
exposées, quelle histoire? Des premières maisons d’écrivains aux
expositions numériques [Conference], Cerisy-la-Salle, 20-26/07/2022.

Muller, Lizzie and Caroline Seck Langill (eds.). Curating Lively Objects:
Exhibitions beyond Disciplines. London and New York: Routledge, 2022.

Ravelli, Louise J. Museum Texts: Communication Frameworks. London:
Routledge, 2006.

Régnier, Marie-Clémence (ed.). Ce que le musée fait à la littérature.
Muséalisation et exposition du littéraire, in Interférences
littéraires/Literaire interferenties, n°16, 2015.

Ryan, Marie-Laure, Kenneth Foote and Maoz Azaryahu. Narrating Space /
Spatializing Narrative: Where Narrative Theory and Geography Meet. Ohio:
The Ohio State University Press, 2016

Susana Sanchez-Gonzalez |Special Collections Reader Services Co-ordinator & ICP
PhD candidate in Museolog
<https://www.alc.manchester.ac.uk/icp/research/postgraduate-research/phd-students/susana-sanchez-gonzalez/>
y| The John Rylands Research Institute and Library | The University of
Manchester | 150 Deansgate | Manchester M3 3EH | +44 (0)161 275 3764

Working hours: * Thursdays, Fridays and alternate Wednesdays.*

Job-share*: * [log in to unmask]

For general enquiries please contact the Reader Services team at

Pronouns: she/her

Connect with me @theTLtweets <https://twitter.com/theTLtweets>

Editorial Assistant, ICP Magazine *Cultural Practice
<https://www.culturalpractice.org/article/exhibitions-emotions-and-the-books-of-the-pandemic>*

Steering Group Member, Books & Audiences Network Group
<https://www.cenl.org/networkgroups/books-and-audiences-network-group/>

Visit the official page of ARLIS UK & Ireland http://www.arlis.net/Home.
Subscribe to https://arlismatters.wordpress.com/, to receive regular posts
on art library and archive matters; news, print and digital art and design
resources, artists’ books, recent and upcoming events and exhibitions,
ARLIS/UK & Ireland publications, job listings and professional profiles.

Stephanie Beene
<https://ulls.unm.edu/people/directory/b/beene-stephanie.php>, MA, MSIS
(she/her)

Associate Professor | Art, Architecture, and Planning Librarian

Drop-In Hours (Fine Arts & Design Library):

Wednesdays, 1:00-4:00 pm

Thursdays, 10:00am-1:00pm

Schedule a research consultation:

https://libcal.unm.edu/appointments/sbeene

The Fine Arts & Design Library

George Pearl Hall <https://saap.unm.edu/about/visit-us.html> Office 435

College of University Libraries & Learning Sciences

University of New Mexico MSC05 3020

Albuquerque, NM 87131