Greetings ARLIS/NA members,

I hope you are all experiencing a wonderful fall.  I want to mark this time
by offering an update on ARLIS/NA activities and plans. The board just
concluded its mid-year meetings.  We discussed the activities of our
committees, divisions, sections, SIGs and chapters.  There is a lot going
on and I know many of you are involved in that activity.

For instance, the Professional Development Committee is looking at ways we
can add more virtual programming throughout the year, and ArLiSNAP just
co-hosted a virtual fall conference with our Visual Resource Association
colleagues.  Our transition to ARLIS/NA Commons
<https://arlisna.hcommons.org/> is nearly complete.  If you haven’t stopped
by the Commons in a while, you’ll find that it is now rich with ARLIS/NA
content.  Use the Sites Tab to find our Reviews and Group pages.  I suggest
that you bookmark it, update your profile, join a few groups, and stop by
regularly.  Many chapters are holding their fall meetings in the coming
weeks, and I encourage you to join in and participate.  The board is
incredibly grateful for all the work our members do for the society.  If
you’re not involved and would like to be, reach out to any constituent
group leader <https://www.arlisna.org/organization> to express your
interest.

Work continues developing our new strategic plan.  We are in the final
stages of writing our vision and mission statements and strategic plan and
look forward to sharing it in the new year.  I extend a sincere thank you
to all who participated in conference sessions, virtual feedback sessions,
and surveys.  Your input was extremely important in understanding where we
are now, and where we want to head in the future. The committee has worked
hard to incorporate both our aspirations and our realities into the new
strategic plan.

Speaking of realities, ARLIS/NA, like many professional societies, has
taken a financial hit since the pandemic began.  We appreciate your
patience and support as we look to ways to decrease expenditures and
increase revenue.  We are currently working on our 2023 budget and will be
able to share more details after its anticipated approval at the December
9th board meeting.

On a brighter note, and with the days flying by, plans are gearing up for
our annual conference in Mexico City (Apr. 18-21).  You’ve probably seen
announcements on the listserv and I’m sure you’ll see more enticing
accounts of the conference programming, the Mexico City arts scene, the
exquisite food options, and the diverse cultural offerings in the coming
months.  The conference webpage will be filling with information throughout
November and December and the registration page will go live in early
January.  I can assure you that this conference will be a
once-in-a-lifetime event and you won’t want to miss it!

Before I go, I offer a few quick reminders:

1)     Don’t forget to renew your membership. Our renewal period has begun
and it’s easy and quick from the society webpage.  Regarding membership
renewals: when you visit the membership page
<https://www.arlisna.org/membership-information>, you’ll see that this year
we’ve added a new Library Staff category for those who work in libraries
but are not librarians. Reach out to colleagues to let them know that we
welcome them into ARLIS/NA. Reach out also to students who can gain from
our network and expertise. Also, while you’re on the Membership page, be
sure to update your member profile.

2)    In your end of year giving, please consider a donation
<https://www.arlisna.org/products/donations> to one of our unrestricted
funds or to the $50K for 50 Years Fund (we’re very close to our $50K goal).

3)    If you’re planning to join us in Mexico City, check that your
passport is valid and not close to its renewal date.

Wishing you all a wonderful end of the year.  Please feel free to contact
me with any questions or concerns.

Warmly,

Rebecca

Rebecca Price (she/her)

ARLIS/NA President, 2022-23
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Office:  734-647-5274
Contact me via phone, email, or make an appointment
<https://umich.libcal.com/appointments/rpw> with me