Hi all,

I have another cataloging question! I’m working on enhancing OCLC #1300421766 (Bernhard Rüdiger : forty-nine exhibitions). Before I push any updates/additions, I wanted to ask about some of my ideas.

This is a weird one, since it’s a catalog of exhibitions but it’s not an exhibition catalog. For context, a blurb at the beginning of the book reads:

Forty-Nine Exhibitions is a survey of Bernhard Rüdiger's work over thirty-five years, organized in reverse chronological order: each exhibition is followed by the one that precedes it. This project is related to the artist's conception of time, which, in his view, is always open. Focusing on these moments of presentation, many artworks reappear at different times, in various associations and contexts; each work responds to another as a source that produces the next yet creates distance with those that came before it. This exhaustive catalog is accompanied by texts and interviews with the artist at different periods, published in their original language and translated into French and English. The introductory essay to Forty-Nine Exhibitions was written by François Aubart in the preparatory stages of Rüdiger's monographic exhibition, Chambre double, at Les Tanneries - Centre d'art contemporain in Amilly in 2021. It throws light on the way Rüdiger was influenced by the discovery--in Milan during the 1980s-- of Luciano Fabro's teaching and Lucio Fontana's spatial work, and on his investment in a collective with intense collaborations, and analyzes the way those attitudes infused the multiple forms of his work.

So this is what I’ve got so far (my additions in bold):

I made the artist the main entry:

100 1  Rüdiger, Bernhard, ǂd 1964-

For subjects and genre/form, the Subject Headings Manual section “H 1593 Exhibitions” says “Do not subdivide – Exhibitions further by – Catalogs.” so I did this:

600 10 Rüdiger, Bernhard, ǂd 1964- ǂv Catalogs.

600 10 Rüdiger, Bernhard, ǂd 1964- ǂx Exhibitions.

600 17 Rüdiger, Bernhard, ǂd 1964- ǂ2 fast ǂ0 (OCoLC)fst00413418

650  0 Sculpture, Italian ǂy 20th century.

650  0 Sculpture, Italian ǂy 21st century.

655  7 Catalogs. ǂ2 fast ǂ0 (OCoLC)fst01423692

655  7 Catalogs. ǂ2 lcgft

I’d be grateful to know if this looks right, wrong, if something glaringly obvious is missing (interviews?), or if you’d do things differently.

Thanks!
Alex
--
Alexandra Provo (she/her/hers)
Metadata Librarian for Arts & Cultural Heritage Resources

Division of Libraries, New York University
70 Washington Square South, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10012
212-992-7534
I do my best not to check or respond to email on the weekends. That said, I may email you outside your working hours, or while you are out of the officePlease don't feel pressure to respond to me until your working hours.