You might suggest the text by Marcia Hall, below, for some ideas.

Hall, M. B. (1992). Color and Meaning: Practice and Theory in Renaissance Painting. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press.

There are lots of ties to culture, color and art, some of these are so obvious that we tend not to think about them at all (e.g., Mary/Madonna = blue, Roman rulers = purple).

Color is also incredibly important for tapestry manufacturing, and you could point out that much color research was being performed in the 18th century in Europe for this purpose (among these explorations was the work of Michel-Eugene Chevreul (1786-1889) at Gobelins). Hope this helps!

Dr. Joan E. Beaudoin

Associate Professor

School of Information Sciences

Wayne State University