Dear ARLIS/NA Colleagues,

Back in September of 2021, efforts began to improve the accuracy of captions associated with ARLIS/NA’s video content hosted on its Kaltura Channel. Since then an edit-a-thon event has been held and a total of 21 caption files have been fully edited by 19 volunteers.

Given the success of the first edit-a-thon, we’ve decided to host a second one! Like the first event, the second ARLIS/NA Accessibility Edit-a-thon is open to the public at large in addition to ARLIS/NA members. Here are the details:

When: Thursday, September 22, 3-7pm EST (Come and go as you please)

Where: Virtually on Zoom

Registration: https://tennessee.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEoc-irqT4qE9YD6xisVvDJqHoIJrCUJKf1

Event Website: https://recordings.arlisna.hcommons.org/events/event/arlis-na-accessibility-edit-a-thon/

No knowledge of captioning is necessary. This is a good opportunity to view past conference content from the Society and maybe learn something new about art librarianship. If you started editing a file at the first edit-a-thon and didn’t get a chance to finish, it would be great to have you join us again. All are also welcome to sign up for a video to edit at their convenience outside of the edit-a-thon. Simply open the captions spreadsheet and enter your email in the row next to the video you’re interested in editing. After you finish editing the caption file, email it to me at [log in to unmask]. I’ll be wrapping up this project by the start of 2023.

Finally, a huge thanks goes to all who have completed editing a caption file to date:

I’m looking forward to adding more names to the list and continuing to improve the accessibility of our content.

Sincerely,

Meredith

Meredith Hale
ARLIS/NA Commons Manager