Dear ARLIS/NA Colleagues,

Back in September of 2021, efforts began to improve the accuracy of captions associated with ARLIS/NA’s video content hosted on its Kaltura Channel<https://mediaspace.msu.edu/channel/Art+Libraries+Society+of+North+America/208298113>. Since then an edit-a-thon event has been held and a total of 21 caption files have been fully edited by 19 volunteers.

Given the success of the first edit-a-thon, we’ve decided to host a second one! Like the first event, the second ARLIS/NA Accessibility Edit-a-thon is open to the public at large in addition to ARLIS/NA members. Here are the details:

When: Thursday, September 22, 3-7pm EST (Come and go as you please)
Where: Virtually on Zoom
Registration: https://tennessee.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEoc-irqT4qE9YD6xisVvDJqHoIJrCUJKf1
Event Website: https://recordings.arlisna.hcommons.org/events/event/arlis-na-accessibility-edit-a-thon/

No knowledge of captioning is necessary. This is a good opportunity to view past conference content from the Society and maybe learn something new about art librarianship. If you started editing a file at the first edit-a-thon and didn’t get a chance to finish, it would be great to have you join us again. All are also welcome to sign up for a video to edit at their convenience outside of the edit-a-thon. Simply open the captions spreadsheet<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i9r0ogobXUceWovEGAT12g5-LEzI1Mv0UPUXW2RUIFI/edit?usp=sharing> and enter your email in the row next to the video you’re interested in editing. After you finish editing the caption file, email it to me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. I’ll be wrapping up this project by the start of 2023.

Finally, a huge thanks goes to all who have completed editing a caption file to date:

  *   Sarah Carter
  *   Quinn Christie
  *   Kathy Evans
  *   Hannah Fountain
  *   Amy Furness
  *   Patricia Gimenez
  *   Meredith Hale
  *   Sara Hohn
  *   Claire Larson
  *   Courtenay McLeland
  *   Alex Miller
  *   Leigh Mosley
  *   Maggie Murphy
  *   Claire Payne
  *   Christine Rosa
  *   Michelle Rothrock
  *   Emily Schmidt
  *   Caetllonn Seadjwyc
  *   Vanessa Viola

I’m looking forward to adding more names to the list and continuing to improve the accessibility of our content.

Sincerely,
Meredith

Meredith Hale
ARLIS/NA Commons Manager