Hello Everyone,

I am wondering what an average art book would have cost in 1902 in the United States.  I am working on a book with more than 100 art plates that was hand bound. I believe that it was sold by a museum for more than $2.00.  How reasonable would this price have been?

Sincerely,

Seonaid Valiant, PhD

Curator for Latin American Studies

Distinctive Collections

ASU Library

Affiliated Faculty, History, SILC, & ACMRS

Author of: Ornamental Nationalism: Archaeology and Antiquities in Mexico, 1876-1911. https://brill.com/view/title/35741

Library of Congress highlights exhibit Shoestring Productions: Brazilian Storytelling through Contemporary Woodcuts, Artists’ Books, and Small Press Books (1997-2021). https://blogs.loc.gov/international-collections/2021/12/southwest-west-meets-northeast-in-shoestring-productions-brazilian-storytelling-through-contemporary-woodcuts-artists-books-and-small-press-books/