Summer Greetings!

This early summer message is to give you a quick update on current ARLIS/NA
activities, some of which continue initiatives in progress while others
reflect new directions.  This update focuses on just a portion of the
ongoing and prolific work of the society.

Before my update, I want to take this post-conference moment to offer my
heartfelt thanks to the 2022 Conference Planning Advisory Committee
including Alexis Burson, Melanie Emerson, Cara List, Jamie Vander Broek,
and Stephanie Fletcher with Megan Brouwer and her team, Lindsay King and
the 50th Anniversary Task Force, and all those I can’t even begin to list
who took part in providing such a rich conference experience and jubilant 50
th Anniversary celebration.

Strategic Planning Committee

This summer the Strategic Planning Committee, with assistance from
consultants at Tecker International, will be gathering input from the
membership by way of several focus groups.  This outreach follows the
survey conducted earlier this year and the town hall sessions both at and
immediately following the conference.  The committee also conducted an
environmental scan and shared the resulting report with Tecker
International.  On the foundation provided by this work, we’ll create our
mission and vision and build a new strategic plan.  We appreciate
involvement from all society members as we look to our future.  You’ll hear
more about the emerging strategic plan as the planning process continues.

Creating the Diversity Internship Award

I’ve brought together a task force to determine the details of the
Diversity Internship Award, a temporary name for the internship that will
be funded by the interest generated from the $50K for 50 Years Fund.
Composed of members from the Professional Development Committee, the Awards
Committee, ArLiSNAP, the Diversity and Inclusion Committee, and myself, the
task force will propose a framework and outline the logistics of the
award.  By the way, you can still contribute
<https://www.arlisna.org/support-opportunities> to the $50K for 50 Years
Fund.

Anti-Racism Committee

In its first year, the Anti-Racism Committee is assessing our current
commitment to anti-racism as evidenced in our annual activities, our
conference programming, and our demographics.  The information we’ll gather
will provide a benchmark from which we can learn and grow.  The committee’s
work builds on the formidable work done by the Anti-Racism Task Force,
whose charge it was to develop a long-range plan to address systemic racism
in ARLIS/NA and the arts information profession.  We are planning a town
hall at 2PM EDT on August 5 to talk about the work of the Anti-Racism Task
Force and their recommendations for our path forward.  Look for more
information on this event on arlis-l in the coming weeks.

Humanities Commons

Our presence on Humanities Commons continues to grow by leaps and bounds.
Many thanks go to ARLIS/NA Commons Manager Meredith Hale who has been
stewarding posts of conference content.  In addition, she has uploaded four
recorded conference sessions (as designated  by the conference co-chairs)
to our Kaltura Channel
<https://mediaspace.msu.edu/channel/Art+Libraries+Society+of+North+America/208298113>
where you’ll also find retrospective content.  If you haven’t yet
registered on ARLIS/NA Commons, you can do so here:
https://arlisna.hcommons.org/membership/.  You’ll find other ARLIS/NA
members there, as well as many of our groups (SIGs, Sections, etc.) as we
move from individual websites and discussion lists to the Commons.
ARLIS/NA Commons and the Kaltura Channel are also accessible via the Resources
Links <https://www.arlisna.org/ARLIS_NA_Commons> from our website.

Conference Feedback

After two virtual conferences, it was marvelous to see ARLIS/NA colleagues
in person. Nonetheless the impact of the pandemic and related changes in
how we meet and how we share our experience and expertise cannot be
ignored.  We are not alone in taking this opportunity to reconsider our
conference model.  Using all that we’ve learned from two virtual
conferences and our continued use of online meeting spaces, we are
exploring other ways “to conference” that capitalize on improved means of
sharing and interacting virtually to increase access to programming
throughout the year while preserving the incredible value provided by an
in-person experience.

Mexico City 2023 – Transformación

I want to close by turning your attention to our conference in Mexico City
next April, an exciting and historic first for ARLIS/NA. I hope you read
Past President Mark Pompelia’s welcoming invitation sent to arlis-l last
week and that you will begin making plans to attend.  With the theme,
Transformación, we look ahead to our next 50 years.  The Call for Proposals
<https://www.arlisna.org/news/call-for-proposals-arlisna-2023-conference-mexico-city-mexico>
was shared on the listserv last week, with an August 12 deadline for
submission.  The conference planning team along with the Texas-Mexico
Chapter (meeting at the conference site from Aug. 8-11
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/arlisna-texas-mexico-2023-chapter-meeting-mexico-city-tickets-365954007287>)
is excited about creating an extraordinary international conference
experience in Mexico City.  Check that your passports are up to date!

I’ll share another update in the coming months.  I welcome any feedback and
questions in the interim.  Wishing you a refreshing and rejuvenating summer.

Warmly,

Rebecca

--
*Rebecca Price*
ARLIS/NA  <https://www.arlisna.org/>President, 2022-23

We acknowledge that the University of Michigan resides on the ancestral,
traditional, and contemporary lands of the Anishinaabeg – The Three Fire
Confederacy of the Ojibwe, Odawa, and Potawatomi Nations, as well as the
Wyandot Nation.