New Issue

We are thrilled to announce the release of the Spring 2022 issue of Trans Asia Photography. Our first issue with Duke University Press, this issue explores the meanings of the third key word in the journal's title: "Photography."

"Photography”: An Introduction

Deepali Dewan

Articles

Photographing the Invisible: Immortal Spirit Photography and China’s En(light)enment

Menglan Chen

Daubing Titipu: Transnational Material Contexts of 19th-Century Hand-Coloured Photography in Japan

Rahul Sharma

The Feedback and Noise of Komatsu Hiroko’s Photographic Materialities

Franz Prichard

Portfolio

Toward Understanding the Photogenic New Citizen: Performance in Vernacular Photography from the Early Turkish Republic, 1920s-1940s

Özge Baykan Calafato

Reviews

Playing with Photographs

Rashmi Viswanathan

When the Archive Becomes a Movement

Haely Chang

We hope that you enjoy the latest issue and invite you to share it with your networks.

Sincerely,

Deepali Dewan
Royal Ontario Museum & University of Toronto

Yi Gu
University of Toronto

Thy Phu
University of Toronto