Archival Project Intern
The Library Company of Philadelphia seeks a graduate student or recent graduate with archival education and hands-on experience to conduct a project to improve access to our James Barton Longacre Collection. Position reports to the Curator of Art & Artifacts.

Archival Project Intern responsibilities would be:
•	Create a finding aid with biographical and historical notes; scope and content notes; and an inventory for the James Barton Longacre Collection, which includes 1,300 engravings, drawings, correspondence, diaries, daybooks, and forty die trials from the Chief Engraver of the U.S. Mint from 1844 to 1869.
•	Curate and write an online exhibition showcasing notable and exciting collection items and presenting them with historical research.
•	Create blog and social media posts to highlight and publicize the collection.

Experience and education:
Bachelor’s degree required. Current student or graduate in master’s degree program in Library and Information Science; Archives Management; or related field. Prior experience working with archival material. Attention to detail and good organizational skills. Experience and interest in historical research. Demonstrated writing skills.

Stipend: $8,050 to be paid in 3 installments ($2500 at the start, $2500 after five weeks, $3050 upon completion)

Schedule: Internship will last for 10 weeks, 35 hours per week. The Library Company’s hours are Monday to Friday: (9-4:45 p.m.) Schedule can be flexible.

About the Library Company of Philadelphia
The Library Company is America’s first successful lending library and oldest cultural institution. It was founded in 1731 by Benjamin Franklin as a subscription library supported by its shareholders, as it is to this day. Free and open to the public, our mission is to foster scholarship in and increase public understanding of American history by preserving and interpreting the valuable materials in our care. Connecting with thousands of visitors annually, we ensure that the lessons of the past will continue to amaze, instruct, and inspire future generations. We serve a diverse constituency throughout Philadelphia and the nation, offering comprehensive reader services, an internationally renowned fellowship program, online resources, and regular exhibitions and public programs. Staff members are welcoming and generous with their deep knowledge about the collections.
To apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, a resume with contact information of one professional reference, and a writing sample (such as a class paper, finding aid, blog post, etc.) by August 1, 2022 or until position is filled to Linda Kimiko August at [log in to unmask]
Please include: Archival Project Intern in the subject line.

If you have any questions about the position, please contact:
Linda Kimiko August, Curator of Art & Artifacts, [log in to unmask], 215.546.3181 x 116

Physical Demands:
Must be able to work at a computer/desk for extended periods of time and lift up to 10lbs. Some bending and kneeling required. Job entails exposure to fragile, rare historic materials and occasional exposure to high levels of various allergens that sometimes accompany them, including, but not limited to, photographic chemicals, dry rot, mold, mites, and dust.

The Archival Project Internship is made possible by the generosity of our Sponsor Kurt Brintzenhofe.