***please excuse cross-posting***

ARLIS/NA Multimedia & Technology Reviews Needs You!

ARLIS/NA Multimedia & Technology Reviews Co-editors are seeking volunteers to author reviews for the August 2022 issue. To volunteer, choose a resource from the list below and complete our Reviewer Interest form (https://forms.gle/5GVBK4EKxjfZJNrg9) by Friday, May 27.

Initial draft submissions are due Friday, July 1.

Contributing to ARLIS/NA Multimedia & Technology Reviews is a great opportunity to get involved with the Society, learn about interesting new resources, and help shape the publication. Please feel free to read the complete review guidelines and direct comments and questions about the reviews to [log in to unmask]

Know of a resource we should review? Submit ideas here

Submitted by ARLIS/NA Multimedia & Technology Reviews Co-editors:

Alexandra Provo

Karina Wratschko

Virginia Kerr

---

Resources for Review
We seek reviewers for the following resources. The snippets below are taken from each resource's web page and are not necessarily the opinions of the M&T Reviews Co-Editors

Bloomsbury Applied Visual Arts

https://www.bloomsburyappliedvisualarts.com/

**Please note: M&TR will arrange trial access

Bloomsbury Applied Visual Arts combines visual inspiration with practical advice on everything from idea generation and research techniques to portfolio development – making this the ultimate guide to a visual arts education.

CollectionBuilder

https://collectionbuilder.github.io/

CollectionBuilder is an open source tool for creating digital collection and exhibit websites that are driven by metadata and powered by modern static web technology.

Crafting Communities

https://www.craftingcommunities.net/

Explore nineteenth-century material culture through our hands-on tutorials, podcasts, and virtual exhibition of Victorian objects. Join us as we discover ways to integrate Victorian crafting into our teaching and learning through these online resources.

La fiebre del banano/Banana Craze

https://bananacraze.uniandes.edu.co/

**Please note: this resource is available in Spanish and English
Banana Craze is the first major study of how a natural resource such as the banana has shaped the past and the present of a continent, and how this phenomena finds expression through culture. Banana Craze brings together almost 100 pieces of contemporary Latin American artists in which the banana is the main feature. Starting with Cuban photographer Raúl Corrales and his 1960 piece Caballería (The Cavalry), in which a group of men ride on horseback celebrating the revolutionary government’s expropriation of United Fruit Company plantations, Banana Craze stretches to the present day and will continue progressing into the future. An artistic, cultural and philosophical approach is used to analyse these pieces and to allow a greater understanding of how the mass cultivation of bananas contributed to the growth of social inequality in Latin America, changing traditional ways of life and transforming the landscape and environment of the region. Not to mention how the banana trade contributed to the formation of xenophobic, racist, and sexist stereotypes of local inhabitants.

MHz Curationist

https://peopleofcraft.com/

MHz Curationist is an ecosystem for collecting and sharing cultural materials from the Creative Commons and public domain. We aim to build connections and deepen cultural awareness by collectively framing the world we share.

Multilingual African Electronic Literature Database & African Diasporic Electronic Literature Database (MAELD & ADELD)

https://africanelit.org/index

African Electronic Literature Alliance & African Diasporic Electronic Literature (AELA & ADELI) was conceived on the 17th July, 2020 during the virtual ELO2020 Conference hosted by the University of Central Florida (USA). These two organisations’ projects seek to bring all African electronic literary works into a single Multilingual African Electronic Literature Database & African Diasporic Electronic Literature Database (MAELD & ADELD) in order to make them available for readers, accessible to researchers, and to preserve them for posterity.

Standing Together Against Hate
https://smithsonianapa.org/stand/

In March 2021 the Smithsonian published a collection of virtual resources from its various museums and centers aimed at educating visitors about racism, xenophobia, and discrimination against Asian Americans in the wake of the killings in Atlanta. The #StopAsianHate webpage features links to online exhibits, museum artifacts, archives, art, interviews, films, and more from institutions including the National Museum of Asian Art, the American Art Museum, the National Air and Space Museum, and the National Museum of African American History & Culture. The offerings are “educational resources and direct learning opportunities that we hope can contribute to deconstructing systemic oppression and affirm the dignity of all people,” writes Smithsonian Secretary Lonnie Bunch in an introductory statement.

Visualizing the Virus

https://visualizingthevirus.com/

Visualizing the Virus is an interdisciplinary digital project through which one can visualize and understand the Coronavirus pandemic from a variety of perspectives. It aims to center the inequalities the pandemic makes visible.

Gaps between the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences are hard to bridge. This means that pandemics are often studied without considering their many interconnected histories. Visualizing the Virus connects insights from different disciplines to create a collective digital space for exactly such a convergence.

--
Alexandra Provo (she/her/hers)
Metadata Librarian for Arts & Cultural Heritage Resources

Division of Libraries, New York University
70 Washington Square South, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10012
212-992-7534
I do my best not to check or respond to email on the weekends. That said, I may email you outside your working hours, or while you are out of the officePlease don't feel pressure to respond to me until your working hours.