Hello Everyone,

I am a librarian at LaGrange College in Georgia. We have a small but lovely special collections with some really unique objects, including a sixteenth-century tapestry. Unfortunately, this tapestry has been through quite a bit since it was acquired by the college -- a fire, being cut into pieces, and being backed with burlap and nailed to the wall.

We are looking to conserve this tapestry but have no idea where to begin. Does anyone have any knowledge of conserving textiles, or does anyone have any suggestions for conservators to whom we could reach out? Our goal is to at least stabilize it so it can be safely stored. A secondary goal would be to have it in a state where we could still display it on campus as has been the tradition.

I would appreciate any advice or direction. Thank you all so much!

Claire Oldfather
LaGrange College
Reference, Research and Instruction Librarian