Hello ARLIS hivemind,

I have a patron who inherited a newel lamp that she would like to learn more about, and I am a bit stumped as to where to direct her.  This piece is outside the scope of our library collection and my personal expertise.

The patron has a photo of the newel lamp installed in the William Letts Oliver House in 1904, in Oakland, CA.  She also has seen a photo of two identical lamps installed at the Gran Hotel in Merida, Mexico, which have been in place since link to an auction site with another iteration1901.  Here also is a  of the same lamp, but with very little description.

The most I have been able to glean is that the lamp was likely French make, and the figure is likely a depiction of the god Mars.  I have referred her to the Cooper Hewitt library as a possible source of information since they have many trade catalogs in their collection, and also the Smithsonian Decorative Arts and Design Research Guide for other possible avenues of research.

The patron is interested in learning more about the designer, the fabricator, the year of manufacture, and the number of copies made.  I am looking for any other suggestions of where she might be able to search for more information; other repositories that have collections of trade catalogs in the decorative arts for lighting, or online resources that would be especially helpful.  The patron is located in California.
image.png

Thank you in advance for your ideas!

Beth Goodrich
Librarian
Direct:  612-206-3118

1224 Marshall Street NE, Suite 200
Minneapolis, MN  55413

Sign up here to receive news of the ACC Library & Archives through our newsletter

If you value the rich resources available through the ACC Library & Archives, please consider a donation to the American Craft Council.
We champion craft, and we'll continue to do so with your partnership!