The 2022 ARLIS UK/Ireland Conference Working Party is pleased to announce
that the Art Libraries Society UK & Ireland Annual Conference will be held
on Thursday 14th July 2022, at M Shed, Bristol.

The theme for this year’s conference is *'What does it mean to be neutral?
The role of art libraries in today's culturally conflicted world'.*

The question of the neutrality of our libraries is more important than ever
in our culturally conflicted society.  If the creation and distribution of
knowledge is not neutral, where does it leave us as art library workers?

In the light of important recent and relevant developments that have
emerged – the Black Lives Matter movement and the foregrounding of debate
on gender and LGBTQT+ issues; decolonising initiatives in academia and
beyond; the move to digital provision and open access to information;
critical engagement with information and its sources and the increasingly
urgent issue of climate change –  many of us have reflected on and/or
challenged the way in which we acquire, curate, promote and manage our art
libraries and their collections.

But are we perpetuating a certain bias? Is neutrality an idealistic concept
that we should strive for, or could it be challenged? If so, what are the
implications for us as library workers?

We are seeking inspiring and provocative contributors with an interest in
these questions, and how they relate to art and design libraries and
archives, to stimulate discussion and debate at the conference. We offer
three options for our contributors:

   - Presentations (25 minutes including questions)
   - Workshops (30 minutes)
   - Lightning talks or poster presentations (10 minutes)

If you have an interest and/or experience in the questions we’ll be
discussing, and would like to contribute to the future of art librarianship
by actively engaging with the 2022 ARLIS conference, we’d love to hear your
proposal. This is a valuable CPD experience that will enhance your
CV/portfolio and offer you a chance to share your experience with the wider
art and design libraries and archives community.

The details we need from you are as follows:

   - Title of the proposal
   - Presenter’s name, pronouns, email address, and professional or
   organisational affiliation (if any)
   - Type of proposal: presentation/workshop/lightning talk/poster (delete
   as appropriate)
   - Short abstract (200 words)
   - Short biography of presenter

Please send your proposal to [log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]> by *Friday 18th March 2022 (14.00). *We’ll
let you know whether we have selected your proposal for the Conference by
March 31, 2022. Please be aware that ARLIS will not be able to cover any
costs associated with travelling to or attending this conference.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch:
[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

We’re very much looking forward to hearing from you.

Ludo Sebire
Bristol 2022 Conference Chair

Visit the official page of ARLIS UK & Ireland http://www.arlis.net/Home.
Subscribe to https://arlismatters.wordpress.com/, to receive regular posts
on art library and archive matters; news, print and digital art and design
resources, artists’ books, recent and upcoming events and exhibitions,
ARLIS/UK & Ireland publications, job listings and professional profiles.

--
*MARK POMPELIA* *|* *Visual + Material Resource Librarian* *|* Librarian IV
*Rhode Island School of Design* Fleet Library *|* library.risd.edu