Peggy--
Probably not the general but substantive overview you're looking for, and I
can't find a table of contents for the catalog, but there's a new show at
the Metropolitan Museum entitled "Inspiring Walt Disney: the Animation of
French Decorative Arts." The catalog:
https://library.metmuseum.org/search/?searchtype=o&searcharg=1245472386
The exhibition has some drawings and other materials about vases turning
into characters and similar transformations.

Sherman Clarke
Alfred University and Avery Index
Alfred, NY