Dear ARLIS/NA colleagues who are also parents or caregivers:

The Art Librarian Parents and Caregivers (ALPaCa) SIG seeks anecdotes and images from ARLIS/NA members related to their experiences as working caregivers during the pandemic. The collected material will be included in a zine that will be distributed as part of ALPaCa’s upcoming panel at the annual ARLIS/NA conference. We have prepared a short list of question prompts, to which we hope as many of you as possible will respond. Please view the prompts and submit your responses here:

https://forms.gle/Jvhg3NnY6tX9srKq6

To give an example of what we seek, here is an anecdote from a member of ALPaCa:
One morning in late March of 2020 I was trying to log on to a meeting of managers at my library while also trying to log my daughter onto her Zoom class while my husband was teaching online in another room. I was soon to submit my tenure packet and totally preoccupied with appearing as professional as possible in spite of the circumstances. I sat next to my daughter and logged us both into our respective meetings and failed to notice that my microphone was on, as my daughter squeezed close to me for a moment and said “I love you Mama” straight into the microphone of my headphones. I was mortified at the crack in my professional veneer, having interrupted this meeting with my personal life, but once the meeting was over, several colleagues messaged me to say that that bit of sweetness from my kid had made their day. It was a rare moment of comfort in those first awful weeks of quarantine.

If you’re currently too fried to compose a complete sentence, please also feel free to share a few words, phrases, scribbles, etc!

Images of all types are welcome, whether created by you, those you care for, or someone else whose images speak to you on this topic.

The form will be open until Feb. 14: https://forms.gle/Jvhg3NnY6tX9srKq6

--
Alice Whiteside (she/her/hers)
Head, Joseph C. Sloane Art Library