I love a puzzle probably twice as much as the next person, but some challenges are more challenging than others.

Doing a stringent weed of the Gunnin’s reference collection, yesterday I came across the title in the subject line, contained in a three-ring binder, vintage 1974. As I transferred the binder to my ‘working’ book cart, it left behind a delightful stream of colorful little squares—on the shelf, across the carpet, on my shoes. Sigh.

Making sure to gather up every one of them, I opened the binder on my work table—only to discover a dozen or more colorful squares caught in the binder’s spine and/or otherwise wandering about between the page leaves. Every turn of a page released another one or two.

At first I resorted to Elmer’s glue, for those color bits whose place I was sure I knew. I’m pretty good with color. But the deeper into the atlas I got, the more the situation devolved into hopelessness.

So I took it home with me, and on the kitchen counter—with a supply of paper clips—I gathered the loose color samples into what I settled upon as related groupings. Those I could definitively associate with a specific placing I clipped to the top of the page.

But still---If I were to repair it (assuming it still has use value, which remains an open question), what sort of glue should I use? The original substance held up for nearly 50 years—impressive.

Any advice appreciated, and—Happy 2022. May all the year’s challenges be this mundane…

Kathy

Kathy Edwards

Librarian, Emery A. Gunnin Architecture Library

2-112 Lee Hall

Clemson University

864.656.4289

Schedule an appointment with me