I love a puzzle probably twice as much as the next person, but some challenges are more challenging than others.

Doing a stringent weed of the Gunnin's reference collection, yesterday I came across the title in the subject line, contained in a three-ring binder, vintage 1974. As I transferred the binder to my 'working' book cart, it left behind a delightful stream of colorful little squares-on the shelf, across the carpet, on my shoes. Sigh.

Making sure to gather up every one of them, I opened the binder on my work table-only to discover a dozen or more colorful squares caught in the binder's spine and/or otherwise wandering about between the page leaves. Every turn of a page released another one or two.

At first I resorted to Elmer's glue, for those color bits whose place I was sure I knew. I'm pretty good with color. But the deeper into the atlas I got, the more the situation devolved into hopelessness.

So I took it home with me, and on the kitchen counter-with a supply of paper clips-I gathered the loose color samples into what I settled upon as related groupings. Those I could definitively associate with a specific placing I clipped to the top of the page.

But still---If I were to repair it (assuming it still has use value, which remains an open question), what sort of glue should I use? The original substance held up for nearly 50 years-impressive.

Any advice appreciated, and-Happy 2022. May all the year's challenges be this mundane...

Kathy

Kathy Edwards
Librarian, Emery A. Gunnin Architecture Library
2-112 Lee Hall
Clemson University
864.656.4289
Schedule an appointment with me<https://clemson.libcal.com/appointments/kathye>