Dear Colleagues,

I'd like to take this opportunity to add my sincere gratitude to Eileen Markson for her unstinting dedication and exceptional contribution to ARLIS/NA as well as to our profession, and particularly for your exemplary work as copy editor for Art Documentation over the past twenty five years, Your precision and gift for clear expression played an essential part in securing the journal's esteemed reputation.

In addition to her commitment to society service, she enjoyed a distinguished career as director of the art and archaeology library at Bryn Mawr College for thirty-one years. In that capacity, she drew upon her academic experience and success in the study of foreign languages, both in the United States and abroad, to lead a well-regarded research collection to greater distinction. Throughout her tenure at Bryn Mawr, Eileen forged excellent working relationships with peers throughout the art library field.

ARLIS/NA members of long-standing will also recall that Eileen served as chair for the society's eleventh annual conference<https://assets.noviams.com/novi-file-uploads/arlisna/pdfs-and-documents/Conferences2004-1973/1983Program.pdf> in Philadelphia in February 1983. At the time, the local chapter members assumed the lion's share of conference planning and depended upon support from the executive director more than 2,000 miles away - long before email and Zoom. Eileen's sure hand and sound judgment guided the conference committee to plan and present a highly professional and forward-thinking program that included a successful joint session with the College Art Association.

It has been a distinct privilege and a pleasure to work with Eileen as a member of the communications and publications committee and since 2017 on the ARLIS/NA Editorial Board, and I send my best wishes along with heartfelt thanks.

Sincerely,

Roger Lawson
ARLIS/NA Editorial Director