Emily Carr University Library went fine free for Sept 2019 and it has been really wonderful! The staff are so happy to have fewer negative interactions with patrons. Patrons are so happy to find out we are less punitive. It was all positive.

Here is more info: https://www.ecuad.ca/updates/fine-free

https://www.ecuad.ca/library/borrow-reserve-renew/loans

We are now exploring removing fines from course reserves and ILL material as well. And we are thinking about removing our security gates. I will keep the group updated as we move through this process.

We do still ask patrons to pay for lost items -  however - we ask that they contact us and we assess the "true" cost of the item (if it can be bought used etc). We also want to further explore the potential for patrons to compensate us in other ways - perhaps by working in the library or doing a book display etc.

I would love to hear how other libraries are making progressive changes.

-Emma

Emma Somers   Coordinator of Library Operations

tel 604 630 4547

Emily Carr University of Art + Design

520 East 1st Avenue, Vancouver BC V5T 0H2

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram + YouTube