Dear ARLIS/NA Colleagues,

Please excuse cross-postings: I am serving on a subcommittee to update the VRA Core metadata standard (and XML schema). It is our intention to include a specific place/element in the schema for alt-text. The plan is certainly to include a separate alt-text version of the Description element for both a Work record and an Image record.

I have two questions for you:

  1. In your work, are there any elements or fields other than description that are useful or necessary for alt-text accessibility? (This can be from any metadata standard, not just VRA Core. If you are using another standard, please let me know.)

  2. If you currently use alt-text for digital image collections, I would also appreciate knowing about your use case (including the metadata standard you’re using), and any guides or resources you have found helpful.

Please contact me off-list, and I will summarize both the list of elements & fields being currently used in alt-text workflows as well as any guides for alt-text. The summary will be shared in this publicly viewable Google doc

Thank you for your time and consideration. We appreciate your help moving the research phase of this project forward.

Best,

Bridget

--

Bridget Madden (she/her)

Associate Director, Visual Resources Center

The University of Chicago Department of Art History

5540 South Greenwood Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637

http://vrc.uchicago.edu | @uchicagovrc

Book an appointment

The VRC is committed to accessibility for all of our services and resources. However, our office is located on the second floor of Cochrane-Woods Art Center and accessible only by stairs. If you need an accommodation to access VRC equipment or services, please email [log in to unmask]