Dear colleagues,

Our library received a question from one of the Studio Art faculty
regarding the use of source imagery in creation of original artwork.

He would like us to create a resource that would outline what is an
"original" artwork, what is "appropriation", "fair use", and what is
the definition of the outright plagiarism of an image.   He also brings up
some recent high profile cases (listed at the end) and also refers to a lot
of other artists who legitimately appropriate art starting with Marcel
Duchamp,
Sherrie Levine and so forths.

I am curious if you as Art Librarians provide expertise/guidelines on this
and if so, do you have good resources you could share with me?

These are the cases he mentions:

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/high-profile-new-lawsuits-test-the-limits-of-fair-use
http://www.artistrights.info/cariou-v-prince
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/20/arts/design/richard-prince-instagram-copyright-lawsuit.html