Dear ARLIS-NA Community,

I am seeking suggestions or recommendations regarding potential funding resources for a documentary projected related to artists working in the media arts. A faculty member in the Art Department (and Informatics Dept) here at UC Irvine [Professor Simon Penny] is exploring potential funding/grant resources in regards to a documentary project.

Brief Scope: In 1993, Professor Penny curated the first international exhibition of interactive installation art (Machine Culture) for ACM SIGGRAPH* (a world renowned computer graphics conference). Funding for a planned documentary as part of exhibition programming did not come to fruition, but the original tapes were shot by a professional video team and, decades later, Professor Simon Penny has these tapes in his possession after the production company folded. His goal is to have this material preserved and made public as a unique historical document. It includes 28 artist interviews - some of whom went on to become major figures in US and world media art. The catalog archived by ACM includes a collection of essays by authors, many of whom likewise went on to become major figures in media theory and media art theory.

I thought some folks on this listserv may have ideas or recommendations for Simon to approach for funding and/or production support? You can respond directly to me off list and I will share this with Professor Penny. He is very grateful for any leads!

*The Association Computer Machinery’s Special Interest Group on Computer Graphics & Interactive Techniques.

With appreciation,

-Jenna

Jenna Dufour (She/Her)

Research Librarian for Visual Arts
University of California, Irvine

Schedule An Appointment

The UC Irvine campus is located on the homelands of the Acjachemen and Tongva peoples who, in the face of on-going settler colonialism, continue to claim their place and act as stewards of their ancestral lands as they have for the past 8,000 years.